Central locking not working - Convenience module at fault ?

Stu!!!

Reaction score
Hiya guys,

For no particular reason, my central locking has stopped working today, well, stopped working remotely.

If you unlock the car manually, and turn the ignition, then central locking works fine, but not via the remote.

This has happened before, and in a very random coincidence, exactly a year ago to the day :think:

After a few annoying weeks of living with it - it suddenly decided to start working again ... hopefully it will do the same again.

After reading around a few older posts on the forum, Im led to believe its to do with the control module, but Im unsure where it is or what it looks like ???

Ive read it lives under the passenger front seat, and other posts have suggested its elsewhere, and been soaked via the plenum holes being blocked !?

I'll have a look at the drain holes later today, and report back... but any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance

Stu

Couldn't just be as simple as a knackered battery in the fob?
Pop a fresh one in and recode it.

my central had stopped working for no reason tried a new battery but still would not work . it turns out it was the fob that was kaput i got a second hand one off ebay for 18 quid and programed it with vcds all is ok now

You need to check the fob first with vcds

Mine stopped working not so long back but if you tried to unlock it the hazard light would light up as normal so knew it wasn't the fob

I disconnected the battery for a few mins and everything was as good as new this was the car battery not the fob

Worth a try if nothing else seen as though its free to try

Common cause of this is corrosion or broken pins in the big multiconnector in the drivers door.

my central had stopped working for no reason tried a new battery but still would not work . it turns out it was the fob that was kaput i got a second hand one off ebay for 18 quid and programed it with vcds all is ok now

Its not the key fobs, tried both, and changed batteries, but nothing responds...

The only other point worth noting is my wife adjusted the passenger seat ( whilst putting my sons car seat in ) and after that, the central locking / remote stopped working...

Could be pure coincidence, but it could be related .... Any thoughts ?

You need to check the fob first with vcds

Mine stopped working not so long back but if you tried to unlock it the hazard light would light up as normal so knew it wasn't the fob

I disconnected the battery for a few mins and everything was as good as new this was the car battery not the fob

Worth a try if nothing else seen as though its free to try

There's nothing responding with the key fob, no flashing etc

Common cause of this is corrosion or broken pins in the big multiconnector in the drivers door.

Thanks Paul, I'll look into this ... Ive noticed the passenger side speakers (front) cut in and out occasionally, which I thought just a loose connection at the speaker terminals, but it could easily be a problem at the multi connector, I wouldnt normally attribute something like that as a cause of the current problem, but its worth investigating ... cheers again :)

I don't mean hazard lights flashing I mean the hazard switch on the dash lighting up when mine stopped working the hazard switch would light up as normal when you pressed a button on the fob

best way to check is lock it and leave the car for a few mins for the hazard switch to go out the try and unlock it with the fob

but after reading above I have also had the broken wire and pins in the door and nothing would work either

Ive noticed the passenger side speakers (front) cut in and out occasionally, which I thought just a loose connection at the speaker terminals, but it could easily be a problem at the multi connector, I wouldnt normally attribute something like that as a cause of the current problem, but its worth investigating ... cheers again :)

That points to where the cabling comes into the door. Worth pulling the flexible cover off & seeing if there's any broken or chaffed wires.

Right, after clearing out some gunk from around the battery, which was just a build up of dry leaves and berries - it was pretty dry tbh, so I didnt bother removing the battery.

My mate who is brilliant with cars, whipped up the carpet and dug deep to check out the CCM, which was completely dry, and intact ... along with the carpet, all completely bone dry too.

Checked all the wiring for any weakness, soldering issues, splices or loose connections but all was tight and in good order.

Finally, after disconnecting the battery, and trying numerous resync combinations, and checking for faults via the OBD, nothing worked so we decided to call it a day :think:

Popped to the boot to grab the glovebox and put it back, when Dave pressed the key in the boot, and hey presto - it was working :yahoo:

Looks like its got a poor range with the remote, so Im gonna have to look at ways of increasing the range - but what a result ! Happy I didnt have to buy a new CCM or any other costly parts :salute:

it might go again mate, my gf's B6 had the exact same issues as you and it seemed to freqently stop and start working. it turned out to be corrosion in connections in a loom in the driver door itself. my indy replaced this loom and its as good as new.

it might go again mate, my gf's B6 had the exact same issues as you and it seemed to freqently stop and start working. it turned out to be corrosion in connections in a loom in the driver door itself. my indy replaced this loom and its as good as new.

True, but so far all the wiring looked good, and solid... so hopefully, it will just need extending (the antenna)...

As I mentioned above ,it happened a year ago but sorted itself out after a few weeks, so hopefully its nothing sinister lurking - I'll keep you posted if anything changes :)

have you checked all the pins in the plugs for corrosion when mine went 4 of the pins had gone! as in they wasnt even there anymore!

i also had crackling on the radio till i cut the wiring plug out

have you checked all the pins in the plugs for corrosion when mine went 4 of the pins had gone! as in they wasnt even there anymore!

i also had crackling on the radio till i cut the wiring plug out

Could you elaborate on this? My girlfriends radio dosent work at all, there a lot of crackling and static!

the wiring that runs through the door the multi plug was green with corrosion and 4 pins was gone also had two split wires

the radio used to crackle and go off (after market radio by the way) traced it to the multi plug and wiring I ended up removing the plug all together and joining the wires and all has been spot on since

I had this issue with my 2002 v6, alarm was going crazy at random hours in the morning, doors would not lock and windows would have mind of their own, speakers were fuzzy, horn sounded when driving around some corners..lots of central convienience faults when scanned...the solution was a new drivers door loom and car was good as new. these can be got on eaby for 30 quid howver i paid £80 for a new one in desperation and embarresment for a quick fix. stripped old one, peeled back the black material and to my horror several of the wires plastic had cracked and was shorting out just where they constantly bend with the door opening and closing. the rubber boot that goes between the door and the cars shell also was cracked and letting in water on wet days (funny enough the wet days were the worst!) lucky the thing didnt go up in smoke some night at the side of the house...very bad design just keep an eye on it mate

Reactions: Stu!!!
I had this issue with my 2002 v6, alarm was going crazy at random hours in the morning, doors would not lock and windows would have mind of their own, speakers were fuzzy, horn sounded when driving around some corners..lots of central convienience faults when scanned...the solution was a new drivers door loom and car was good as new. these can be got on eaby for 30 quid howver i paid £80 for a new one in desperation and embarresment for a quick fix. stripped old one, peeled back the black material and to my horror several of the wires plastic had cracked and was shorting out just where they constantly bend with the door opening and closing. the rubber boot that goes between the door and the cars shell also was cracked and letting in water on wet days (funny enough the wet days were the worst!) lucky the thing didnt go up in smoke some night at the side of the house...very bad design just keep an eye on it mate

Thanks for the heads up mate - Im gonna be installing a nice Audio Upgrade next month, so I'll strip it back and have a good look before tackling any wiring :thumbsup:

I have a Audi A 4, 2002 model and have the similar problem, It does not lock or unlock with remote keyfob, I thought it was the battery in the keyfob, change the battery, resync keyfobs, checked the damp on passenger foot area, still does not work. Alarm goes off intermittenly (there was a occassion or two when alarm went off while i was driving) so i have to lock/unlock manually and put the key to ignition when it unlocks the whole car.

I went to a independent Audi garage and they scanned it, pulled out Control unit for the central locking systems from the passenger side under the glove compartment and identified thats the problem. This unit is not cheap and with parts and labour it will cost around 500 pounds. 1/6 th of the car price!

They have put back the faulty unit and it started working again but intermittenly. my question is if the unit is faulty, central locking shouldnt work at all, but it does work intermittenly. I am not convinced that its the control unit. any one else has similar issue? Unit looked and feel very dry (not damp) and cable connection to the unit all are intact.

Did you actually lift the carpet and feel underneath the sound deadening mat? Water could be trapped under there well before you can feel it on the carpet. As the matting is like a super sponge! Ask me how I and others know. lol

Have you checked all of the drain bungs to see if they're clear? With all the rain over the last few weeks/months it could be the beginning of another wet Audi?

Dan

It's worth checking the large connector in the drivers door for corrosion, & broken pins.

can anyone please explain three things
1. how do you remove the c entral locking module. the central locking pump if different; the comfort control module, the central convenience module if different..

2.which of these impacts on the failure of the windows (all) to work and which affects the working of the trunk and door locks which of these impacts the complete and or intermittent workings of the cabriolet top.....there is so much in this forum by people whose windows and locks and interior lights and power tops have failed but there has not been a cohesive explanation by the experts as to which module cause which failure and where these modules reside (with removal tips)....these terms are thrown around and its hard to know if different names exist for the same thing.

3. is theonly enemy of these modules water?.....is a used module expected to work forever if we can keep it dry?Thank you to the experienced members and does anyone have modules to sell?