1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Central locking & alarm issues

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Daniel M, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Daniel M

Daniel M Member

[Feb 23, 2013]
    I was just after a little bit of advice please guys, my A3 developed an issue yesterday which is really annoying. Basically on the way to work yesterday I could hear the central locking mechanism clicking but thought nothing of it. Then once at work I couldnt lock the car using the fob. Every time I pressed the fob to lock it the little led light on the door card flashed and the hazard light button flashed for a brief second but didnt lock the car, then it sets the alarm off??

After I left work all was fine again, however once at the gym the issue started again leaving me messing about in the car park for 20 mins looking like I was trying to steal the car with the alarm going off all the time.

Anyway cutting a long story short I found out (off here) how to remove the central locking pump and the alarm siren which I have done. Now when removing the siren I found a lot of water underneath it which is clearly from when I washed the car last week. I have taken the pump out an opened it up and to me it looks fine, cant see anything obvious anyway and it was making a noise when fitted but sounded like a loose connection somewhere? Also the button on the door to unlock the doors from the inside doesnt work, the electric windows dont work either and neither does the car lock itself once moving.

I have reconnected the pump without the siren now but it doesnt even make a noise now when pressing the fob. Would not having the siren fitted cause the pump not to work? I was under the impression that this would just mean the alarm wouldnt work?

I can gather the water has caused the fault but without having vcds or vag com I cant check for fault codes, so does anyone know if it is just the pump or would it be best to replace both? By the way the alarm siren has been fine and not beeping prior to this. i just find it strange that when I try to lock the car with the fob or manually in the lock the alarm starts?

Sorry to be long winded but thought best to explain everything.

Oh and its an 03 TDi sport.

Pic of water where siren fixes.

Attached Files:

2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 23, 2014]

3. Sandra

Sandra MODERATOR Staff Member Moderator

[Feb 23, 2013]
    Daniel, i think it may be wise to get vcds done on the car, to see if there are other issues. Do you have your own vcds cable?
  4. Daniel M

Daniel M Member

[Feb 23, 2013]
    Unfortunately not, I'm not clued up on vcds etc.
  5. Sandra

[Feb 23, 2013]
    Ok Daniel, i will see if there is anyone close to you. :) x
  6. Sandra

[Feb 23, 2013]
  7. Daniel M

Daniel M Member

[Feb 23, 2013]
    Thanks Sandra great help :)
  8. Daniel M

Daniel M Member

[Feb 27, 2013]
    Little update reagrding this, had the car on vcds and it brought no fault codes up what so ever.

Took it to the auto sparky today and they confirmed the rear washer pipe had come away under the sub woofer and leaked all over the electrics. His actual words were that the electrics are rotten. So this is all being sorted today, fingers crossed I should have power to the central locking, interior lights and electric windows.

On another note one thing I have noticed on here is that you only seem to get help in this section if you have an S3.
  9. Vex182

Vex182 Guess what I drive...

[Feb 27, 2013]
    Glad the car will be all sorted. As for the s3 thing, yes there is a lot of people on here with them but there is usually someone around with any car that can help!
  10. Daniel M

Daniel M Member

[Feb 28, 2013]
    Cheers mate, after picking the car up from the auto sparky I came out of the gym to find one of the rear tyres flat so had to change that in the car park. Fingers crossed thats the last of the issues for now.

Havent had any real updates to the car if honest since I first added the thread as a little unsure what if anything I want to do to it, but I am looking at having the soft touch indicator function added. I had a major service 2 weeks ago which was great, though it did highlight a few things that will need looking at in the next 6 months.

One thing that is bugging me is the fuel consumption. When I first bought her she was averaging 500-550 from a full tank, however now its struggling to get 400+. I havent changed anything or changed my route to work, however I only do town driving and average 15-20miles a day. I dont know whats changed and the car was on vcds on Monday an it had no fault codes what so ever.

Also this will probably make me sound stupid but Ive just realised that the car has 2 different width tyres on it with the rear ones being 225/45/17 & the fronts are 205/45/17?? Would this affect mpg?