center/windscreen vent removal rattle

benr

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a rattle on the center vent on the dash (closest to the windscreen pointing up) used to clear the windscreen.

Its a strange one only comes up when cold and at around 1500rpm. Its got a sensor in it which i have taken out and looked at and it doesnt seem to be this rattling.

Can someone advise how to take out this vent safely and/or a god way to get rid of this rattle.

cheers

I too have this rattle on our A3 TQS and am intersted if anyone has cured it. We found a well placed rag squidged in the windscreen/dash join would fix it, however this is not quite ideal

i have a wiered noise up there too its like a single donk noise but doesnt do it very often,
also whilst on the subject my under glove box tray is creaky too anyone have this and fixed it havent got around to looking at it yet and i hate rattles really annoy me

I too have this rattle on our A3 TQS and am intersted if anyone has cured it. We found a well placed rag squidged in the windscreen/dash join would fix it, however this is not quite ideal

i think im talking about a different vent on mine its the vent on the top of the dash in the middle not right up against the window...

Just not sure how to get it out

ah yeah thats the one.... but that rounded thing in the middle is some kind of sensor as the bit around clips off and you can see the sensor screwed in

Have got this on my TQS, only when I whack it on the heater to demist the windscreen, only been being it since I changed the thermostat though?!

if it gets too annoying you can always fill the thing with expanding foam..... job done, you'll just have to do an Ace Ventura until your window demists itself:thumbsup:

normally charge for this kind of advice but on this occasion i'll let it go:salute:

i feel like ive got a right good freebee there. thanks :anbet:

its not really a freebee Ben, have you seen ow much expanding foam costs???

Can't help with that rattle, but I solved the only one I have the other day. Rattle comes from the steering column in the cold and it turns out its the corregated plastic where the sterring column meets the dash just under the dials (the bit that moves when you adjust the steering wheel). When it rattles I push it in a bit, as it is supposed to flex, and it sorts it out!

Sorry I know this doesn't help the main thread, but if you do ever have this problem its even cheaper than using expanding foam!!

Deece - cheers ive had that before but hasnt done it for ages...