CD & DVD Satnav differences

jvbates

Reaction score
Website
www.exit7.co.uk
Guys,

As the title suggests, what are the differences between the Audi CD & DVD satnav systems? Is the CD version RSN-E?

If I wanted to add the bluetooth module, is it more difficult to retrofit to the CD version? Should I really hold out for one with the DVD version fitted?

James

RNS-D CD version upto 2004

CD based for each country, slow to navigate, small screen, requires TMC module to talk with car, additional CD changer facility. Additional TV module.

RNS-E DVD version from 2004 onwards

DVD based for the whole of europe on 2 DVD's now, includes TMC and works directly with car, fold down 6.5" widescreen. 2x SD cards for MP3's, plays MP3 CD's from NAV slot, integrates with bluetooth kit. Addtional TV module. Additional CD changer control.

Bluetooth only works with RNS-E as that came out from around 2003/4 as well. ( I know it works with the D but not as well, only mute and speakers)

Craig's post says it all - the RNS-E rocks. While the CD nav system undoubtedly has its merits, I've not read any posts of people retrofitting it.

Thanks for the reply's guys... most helpful.

@Benw123 - I wasn't actually suggesting that I would retrofit the CD nav system. What I wondered was, if retrofitting the hands free bluetooth module was more difficult on the CD version than the DVD one?