1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD Burner Advice

Discussion in 'Home Cinema, Hi-Fi and Gadgets' started by Moresauce, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Moresauce

Moresauce Member

I finally need to buy a CD Burner for my laptop, it is a Compaq with 160mb RAM and running Windows 98. It only has a free USB port a the method of connection and I want to spend up to £150.Mainly for Audio with the odd backup data CD. It obviously must be an external drive!

My consideration list
    Philips JackRabbit 24x12x40x/USB/External around £105
    Freecom Portable II 40x12x40x/USB/External around £130
    Freecom FX-1 24x10x40x/USB/External around £105
    Lite-On LXR-40122A 40x12x40x/USB/External around £105

What do you guys think and what suggestions for burners and software do you guys reccomend??
  2. AlexStanley

AlexStanley Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Moresauce said:
    I finally need to buy a CD Burner for my laptop, it is a Compaq with 160mb RAM and running Windows 98. It only has a free USB port a the method of connection and I want to spend up to £150.Mainly for Audio with the odd backup data CD. It obviously must be an external drive!

My consideration list
    Philips JackRabbit 24x12x40x/USB/External around £105
    Freecom Portable II 40x12x40x/USB/External around £130
    Freecom FX-1 24x10x40x/USB/External around £105
    Lite-On LXR-40122A 40x12x40x/USB/External around £105

What do you guys think and what suggestions for burners and software do you guys reccomend??

[/ QUOTE ]

I've only ever had bad experiences with Philips stuff, so I would avoid that, but I'm sure other people would say the Philips stuff is OK... Horses for courses really...

As far as software is concerned, Nero, Nero, Nero. It's brill, and will do everything you could ever want /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nero Website

Cheers

Alex.
  3. gtdog

gtdog Member

Morning Moresauce!
    If you still have those disc cards I gave you E-mail Tim at bluechip multimedia, say George sent you for a deal, and tell him what you want, He sells at trade to friends!
    Also he knows his stuff and Never Never shies away from a challenge! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
  4. Moresauce

Moresauce Member

Thanks guys will do a bit of research. GTDog those cards where excellent and I contact that guy when I get back from skiing to see if he can sort me out!
  5. gtdog

gtdog Member

When an actor goes on stage it is customary to wish them well with the phrase "Break a leg", with boating "sink the bugger" is often muttered before departing as a sure way of wishing the best of luck and the favor of whatever god may be listening.
    So with the best of intentions my big Sister says I should wish you to fall off a mountain!
    Have a good time!
  6. Snail2

Snail2 Member

Moresauce, check this link Scan.co.uk They have the liteon CD Writer on special today (today only)
  7. worfke

worfke Member

I have just read a review on the philips jackrabbit... it seems this is more than just a simple external CD/RW, it also allows you to watch DVD movies on your TV or PC and even includes remote control... tasty...