CCTV - Recommendations?

Dannymoto

Reaction score
Looking at getting a CCTV System for my house to keep an eye on my car, anyone have these?

Thanks Danny.

Yeah, I have a Samsung unit, works great and can access it from my phone when im not home :) The newer Power over Ethernet units are better if you want less wiring, or you can go wireless now, but not sure how reliable these are

Yeah, I have a Samsung unit, works great and can access it from my phone when im not home :) The newer Power over Ethernet units are better if you want less wiring, or you can go wireless now, but not sure how reliable these are
You got a link for this at all?

Not off the top of my head, currently in work. Just google Samsung SRN-472S. You can get cheap units off ebay as well, something like avtech would do the job

Wired is better either shotgun or ethernet and as prev mentioned 2TB or above if recording 24/7 if over 2 cameras in HD. Remember for recording your property is ok but onto public domain you should have signs up warning of recording as some people may take exception to it and complain as it may break the law.
Some of the kits from ebay and maplin have pre made cables which can be a pain if you want to feed them thru pre drilled holes due to the ends being on.

How did you get on with the wireless units? Debating getting CCTV at home but not sure if I should do a DIY job or get a pro to do it?

I bought some Hikvision CCTV cameras and a Hikvision NVR. Pretty easy to set up as the cameras are powered over Ethernet so just a single cable to run to each camera. I can access the cameras remotely from my mobile or a remote computer.
There is a lot of Hikvision equipment on Ebay that is cheaper than what is supplied by Bona Fide UK distributors because it is not UK spec . It will probably work fine but the software is different and potentially you may have warranty issues.
I chose to buy a complete set up from this company. The picture quality is extremely impressive especially at night, It's almost completely dark before it switches to black and white. If you buy the cable you get all the connectors, crimps etc to make the ethernet cables upto the correct length.
http://www.cctvkits.co.uk/hikvision-3mp-1536p-1-2-camera-ip-kit-exir-mini-dome.html
I bought a 1TB WD Purple drive from E-buyer for the NVR, This stores several weeks video as the the cameras do not record continuously, only when triggered by movement. They also use H264+ compression which makes the video files small.
http://www.ebuyer.com/625078-wd-purple-1tb-3-5-sata-surveillance-hard-drive-wd10purx

This picture was grabbed from the DVR, actual streamed quality is slightly better.

Attachments

• 192.168.1.123_01_20160927132437390.jpg
    192.168.1.123_01_20160927132437390.jpg
    781.4 KB · Views: 91
I bought some Hikvision CCTV cameras and a Hikvision NVR. Pretty easy to set up as the cameras are powered over Ethernet so just a single cable to run to each camera. I can access the cameras remotely from my mobile or a remote computer.
There is a lot of Hikvision equipment on Ebay that is cheaper than what is supplied by Bona Fide UK distributors because it is not UK spec . It will probably work fine but the software is different and potentially you may have warranty issues.
I chose to buy a complete set up from this company. The picture quality is extremely impressive especially at night, It's almost completely dark before it switches to black and white. If you buy the cable you get all the connectors, crimps etc to make the ethernet cables upto the correct length.
http://www.cctvkits.co.uk/hikvision-3mp-1536p-1-2-camera-ip-kit-exir-mini-dome.html
I bought a 1TB WD Purple drive from E-buyer for the NVR, This stores several weeks video as the the cameras do not record continuously, only when triggered by movement. They also use H264+ compression which makes the video files small.
http://www.ebuyer.com/625078-wd-purple-1tb-3-5-sata-surveillance-hard-drive-wd10purx

This picture was grabbed from the DVR, actual streamed quality is slightly better.

That's a pretty clear picture. Better than I expected

They are 4Mp cameras so resolution is 2688 x 1520 where as a 1080p picture is 1920 x 1080. TBH the picture quality on 1080 is not that much different and is still pretty good. The cameras I have are the same as the link above to the 2 camera kit. The turret camera DS-2CD2342WD-I and is a 2.8mm lens so is the widest field of view, hence the slightly fish eye view. If you go for a 4mm or 6mm lens you get a narrower field of view and essentially more zoom.
As I only wanted 2 cameras I pushed the boat out a bit and had better spec items. You can mix and match cameras to get the best results if you are using cameras indoors you don't need all singing / dancing items.
The Samsung camera kit listed above is a good price for a 4 camera system. Those cameras use coax for the video so require seperate power feeds. Just doubles the amount of wiring and a 1080 coax camera won't give you quite as good an image as a 1080 POE camera.
https://soltechsecurity.wordpress.c...nel-1080p-full-hd-security-system-sdh-c75100/

Last edited: