1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CC'd S3 down on BHP??

Discussion in 'Custom-Code UK' started by vrbob, Oct 6, 2008.

1. vrbob

vrbob Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!

Hi,

I got my 8L S3 remapped via your mobile remapping service in January this year. So far i have had no real issues with the car until i went this weekend to a local rolling road day organised by members on the forum.

My car only made 235bhp which i was quite dissapointed by as i was at least hoping for 250bhp as i have had the phase 1 remap Forge 007p and a green panel filter.

The car does not seem to have any flatspots or missfires and pulls thru the revs but it just seems down on power and torque (i do have the printout but need to scan it in). Any ideas of what i can check etc to see where my missing horsies have gone. Another member on the day said that when my car was on the rollers it smelled like it was pushing out unburnt fuel.

I always run it on Shell Vpower fuel and have had nothing changed etc since having the remap done.

The rollers themselves seemed pretty accurate as the other members got the sort of figures they were looking for.

There does also seem to be a few other members with 8L S3's that have had the CC Phase 1 with similar problems one being 1animal1 who got the same bhp results as me on a RR day and themanthatcan who is even worse of only getting 207bhp.

Any advice would be appreciated

Rob
  2. Custom-Code HQ

Custom-Code HQ Member

Hi Rob,

By all means we will be happy to get the car here and check the car over for any issues.

The Phase 1 files that have been used on your and other cars have been 100% making correct fuel, making very good boost and the power as quoted.

Have the vehicles been checked for and boost leaks, faults codes?

Custom-Code Team
  3. vrbob

Not been checked yet but am sure i can get it vagcom'd somewhere to check for faults etc.

If i did wanna get the car checked over by yourselves where exactly is here??
  4. Custom-Code HQ

Custom-Code HQ Member

If you could let me know what comes up that will be spot on!

Custom-Code HQ is based in Chesterfield, Derbyshire (Postcode, S41 9EY)

Regards
    Custom-Code Team
  5. vrbob

Ok thanks for the response,

I will try to get it tested soon (gotta a dodgy back at the mo so gonna get me sorted first) as soon as i have any results i will get them posted for you.
  6. vrbob

Here is my printout from the rolling road day i don't know if it helps in solving my issue but maybe it will.....

[​IMG]
  7. vrbob

I have found someone locally with VAG-COM so what logs would you need so i can get the correct info for you.
  8. 1animal1

1animal1 The Clar!! it mouves!!!

CC... how long would it take (roughly) if i was to nip down for you to VAG mine(im just round the corner)....having similar issues although with lumpy boost (had brief discussion with someone last week about a turbo replacement)
  9. Custom-Code HQ

Custom-Code HQ Member

vrbob - please can you log blocks - 002 (MAF) 020 (Timing) 115 (Boost) 032 (fuelling)

1animal1 - It will take approx 30min-1hr to log the car and carry out basic checks.
  10. vrbob

11. vrbob

Ok just went and collected my car from a garage that kindly did a few checks for me.

The car itself seems to be ok no leaks or anything but from the log files it isn't boosting enough so isn't getting as much power.

Once i have the log data i will post it but i am waiting for it to arrive by email.

What do i do if it does look like the map to be at fault?? as the quoted figures on your website for my car are 260-265bhp and 250-265 ft/lb of torque. which is at least 20bhp more than i am getting as you can see from the dyno graph. I paid for my car to get those quoted figures i even went for the forge 007p and green panel filter as i was advised this would get the best from the remap.
  12. Custom-Code HQ

Custom-Code HQ Member

If the fault is down to the mapping then I can offer to have the car back for re-tuning before re-fund on the map.

Or if it turns out it is a fault with the car then I cannot offer a re-fund.

Once you do get the logs please send them via email to support@custom-code.co.uk

Custom-Code Team
  13. vrbob

i will email over the logs but thought i woulp post them too :

[​IMG]

Hope this helps you help me solve this issue
  14. Custom-Code HQ

Custom-Code HQ Member

Hello,

Sorry but we are going to need to see the car here for diatgnostic - please can you call 01246 455004 to arrange a booking.

Custom-Code
  15. vrbob

Not sure its gonna be that easy as i am in Southampton and had my car remapped by the Mobile service you run Do you not have an authorised dealer neare to me i could visit instead or could you not arrange for the Mobile guys to come see me.
  16. S3 Big Andy

S3 Big Andy Stealth Beast Baby Yay

CC you are making it hard for this guy, if your software is at fault give the guy a break and help him out!!!
  17. VRStu

VRStu Just Looking

If the last two columns are requested vs actual boost then they don't look too far out to me.

If you have the time then I can thoroughly recommend Jim and Keith at JKM in Portsmouth.
  18. vrbob

Cheers for the support andy :)

I do not know enough about it to comment. I have heard JKM is good but don't want to have to shell out to get this sorted as i have already paid good maney to CC to get this software and as yet i have not had any confomation that it is doing what it is meant to and so far it looks like my car is not the problem (eg boost leak).

I was thinking perhaps i should try n get the Revo trial put on the car to see if it them does what its meant too thus proving the software was at fault or not. But if i did this would they be able to put back on the map the car currently has once the trial is over as i would then need CC to look at it.
  19. VRStu

VRStu Just Looking

If the REVO trial were written to your ECU then you would lose the CC software and probably any chance of support from CC.

It would seem to me that you've either got a trip to CC HQ or succumbe to an hour with a good tuner for diagnostics.

There are a whole host of things that could be wrong with your car so you really do need to have it properly looked at either by CC or somone more local.

It might be nice, given the distances involved, if CC offered you a contribution to a diagnostics check locally.
  20. vrbob

Thanks for the info about the trial software.

This is the problem i cannot say 100% that its not my car causing a problem but it would seem the most logical solution would be to put the software on the car again (a bit like rebooting your PC) and see if that makes a difference.

I would be happy to have a third party test the car again and would even be happy to pay for the tests if my car was found to be at fault not the software and vice versa CC could pay if it is the software
  21. VRStu

VRStu Just Looking

Sadly it doesn't quite work like that. I'm no fan of CC software but if I had to make the decision myself I'd be looking around my car first.
  22. 1animal1

Bob, i think it may be a good suggestion to run it to JKM before nipping up here, im sure CC will share their approach with JKM with this sort of problem. Just seems like a good idea since they are now CC dealers, plus if the map is at fault im sure CC would be more willing to pay for any diagnostics carried out by one of their approved dealers.....obviously if the map is at fault

**** situation this mate, especially after all you've put up with so far

Tim
  23. VRStu

VRStu Just Looking

I'm not aware that JKM are Custom Code dealers. They are REVO and Superchips.
  24. vrbob

Tim,

Yeah i like the suggestion and as i have a few days off next week i may well get in contact with JKM and see if they will give it a good run and find out if they come up with any more info. If they are a CC dealer then as you say i'm sure CC would be more willing to accept any info they could provide me with.

VRstu i will contact them next week and confirm
  25. 1animal1

sorry Bob, meant KJM services, recently listed on CC's page in Devon...... cheers Stu, my mistake
  26. Custom-Code HQ

Custom-Code HQ Member

Hi Bob, everyone else

We are trying to help the best we can, the only way we are going to be able to find out if the fault is down to the tuning/car etc is by having the car here for inspection - The mobile service is only for mapping, not for diagnostic and repair.

KJM are a Custom-Code agent so you are more than welcome to give them a call for diagnostic but I would think that KJM will charge you for the inspection. Where as if the car comes to Custom-Code HQ we will give the car an inspection and advise on any faults.

In the unlikely event that the fault is down to the remap, we can retune the vehicle while you are here - test drive and see how you find it. If again the re-tuned file has these issues then we will offer a refund.

I hope this helps

Custom-Code
  27. vrbob

Hi CC HQ,

thanks again for the response, if i was nearer to you i would be coming to see you no worries. I know u are offering to test the car for free but by the time i factor in the cost of petrol and of course the amount of time it will take for me to travel there i think i would be better off paying for one of your agents to look at the car and give you the results.

I have just been on your website and it looks like Storm Motorsport are the closest to Southampton (if you know of another dealer closer please let me know). So if you are happy that they will test the car in the same manner you would at the HQ i will contact them next week to see if i can book the car in.

Please let me know if this is acceptable.

Regards

Bob
  28. jamieface

jamieface the only S3 in the villiage

Sorry to hi jack this thread but id like to say well done to everyone involved in this for sorting it out so amicably !!! VRBob you are a credit to us all !! and CC well done for trying to help him out as much as you can its all very impressive stuff !!!
    Hope the car gets fixed soon mate and its a simple fix
  29. vrbob

Gotta be friendly as i still have no clue as to whats the issue with my car and until then there is no reason to point the finger.

It looks like if anything is found to be wrong with the Remap CC are happy to first off retune the car and if that does not help offer me a refund which is very fair. The only issue is i have to get my sorry butt to derbyshire.

I think i will set aside a saturday in the nearish future to go visit CC and get this finally done and dusted but as the car still drives ok its not too urgent. CC also wanna see themanthatcan's S3 as his is also down on BHP and as he lives not far from me perhaps we will go together for moral support.
  30. 1animal1

Rob, let me know if you decide to come up mate, be good to meet you both....could make a mini meet of it at JBS
  31. vrbob

Sounds like a plan and if you have sorced all the bits for your car you could get them to make sure it is now doing what it should.

It will have to be a saturday so will chat with Andy and see when we both have the time to do it and will let you know.
  32. vrbob

Looks like Themanthatcan and i will be heading up to CC HQ this coming saturday (I have emailed CC to confirm this will be ok but as yet have had no reply).

If i get a chance i will try to confirm with CC via the phone when i get back from work.

So fingers crossed we may well find out and hopefully solve why we arn't getting the magic 260bhp we should be.
  33. cuprajake

cuprajake Member

do you think there could be discrepancy with the rolling road? was it a 4 wheel rolling rd? what sort of figures did other people get any other 4 wheel drive cars there?

if your car feels spot on with no probs, it could be the rd, have you tried another rolling rd forinstance, as i know there can be big differences from road to road, you can actually do a dyno with vag com

jake
  34. vrbob

Cheers for the input Jake,

Pretty sure the RR was ok Its a pretty new adition to the Regal Autosport garage and its defo a proper 4wd roller setup. As for others getting the right figures there were no other 8L S3's but all the 8P S3's were getting the right sort of readings etc before and after remaps.

When my car was on the rollers another user did mention that it smelt like it wasn't burning all the fuel.

As for performance its not too bad and i can't really feel any issuesand i have not been in another remapped S3 so can't compare there either.

Am hoping its an easy fix and my lost 25 horsies will show up.
  35. vrbob

Just spoke to Mike from JBS and me and themanthatcan are booked in for a visit on Saturday.

So 1animal1 if your bored n wanna pop down while we are waiting to say hello it would be nice to say hello in person. plus we can check out your CC'd S3 in comparrison to ours.
  36. vrbob

early night tonight ready for the big day out to CC HQ so fingers crossed me n Andy get to find our missing horsies.
  37. vrbob

Mike, James and the rest of the guys at JBS,

thanks for yesterday and the time n effort you put into looking at mine n Andy's cars. We were both very happy at the service you provided and your hospitality.

Our journey home was resonably painless and we both had a little play in our cars and they seemed to be pretty evenly matched now.

Cheers
  38. alijames

alijames Active Member

What was up with it then?
  39. vrbob

To be honest still not 100% sure CC put the latest version of the Phase 1 software on my car as i had older files plus a nice new set of plugs so they could advance the ignition timing.

Looked at the logs from after the new software was added and its now boosting higher and holding the boost for longer. also the new software can ignore errors sent back from the ECU, Throttlebody n MAF as this can cause the car to hold back at times. As i have had all these bits replaced and they may not be exactly the right part (even if they do the same job) so this map can cope with those abnormalities.

Can't confirm too much for now but if i get it dyno'd again i will post the results to see how they differ from before.

All in all JBS / Custom code were really helpful its just a shame they are a 3 hour drive away.
  40. Fast,not furious

Fast,not furious Dealing with an OCD

3 hours? You need an 8P mate :shrug:...i've done the trip from Soton to Leeds in 2hrs 45,and thats about 50 miles further!

...and before my mods!

Good guys at JBS though,i'm back there on thursday for a new clutch...she cant handle all the power Custom Code etc have given me :sob: