Cawsey's Track Toy

Hey dude, sorry I missed your PM.

For garages down here, I'm really not sure. JKM are in pompey 30 mins away, otherwise I think Bill is closest at ~2 hours from you.

Danny I have used Regal Auto sport before as they had an 8L S3 show car at one time but not used them for a long time now as they are a bit pricey.

JKM as prawn suggests is a good shout as they have done both of my Revo remaps and are reasonably priced too.

Ok so I just fired up the s3 to try and diagnose the poor old engine. It started making a missing sound at high end revs then it's gradually got worse until now where it sounds like a tractor on tick over. The cabin is very shaky the exhaust is popping Like mad And there is no power. I tried unplugging the coil packs one by one but it get a lot worse each time so I'm assuming they are fine. I'm going to check the plugs tomorrow but they were new 4 months ago. Does anyone have any ideas before I take it to a garage?

I had similar sounds / symptoms once and that was a combination of vacuum leaks....... Could be for you, have you scanned the car?

Sean

I've scanned it with my cheap fault code reader and two codes come up one which is SAI valve drone where I disconnected it and the other is air intake sensor from dodgy wiring. But they were both there before the tractor appeared.

Ok so I've come to the conclusion that its a dodgy coil pack, as removing one of them didn't make a change in sound where as the others did.

Any ideas as to where I can buy a new one as Euro car parts and gsf only seem to sell the push down ones where as mine are bolt down.

Small update, I now have a new coil pack which has sorted out my misfire. But still down on power and horrible rattle sound when I put my foot down. Doesn't seem to do it in neutral when reving only while in gear booting it also a lumpy idle.

On a good side I ordered a small number plate, a TRS tow strap, two sparco bucket seats, two red 3 point harnesses and a new instrument cluster .
Next on list to buy is mounts for the seats and OMP steering wheel.

Here's a couple pictures of the front end with the new number plate and tow strap.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363114817676769
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363114886415192
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363114900631954

Reactions: future, Prawn, K04 and 2 others
Looking good mate. Im making my way through prawn and big als track build and there are some awesome mods and track ideas in there which are worth a look at if your going that route for sure!

:s3addict:

Looking good mate!

Where did you get that number plate from? it looks about the right size :)

lose the front seats, i heard there around 20kg each? get a garden chair or a bean bag to sit on...

just seen you have a pic of buckets, will be a good thread to follow!!

If anyone is interested I'm selling my front and rear recaro seats. They are electric but not heated, they are in ok condition for the age. Bottom of seats are a little bit bobbly but that's about it. They will be in the classifieds.

Last edited by a moderator:
progress is looking good dan! im heading back home in a few weeks so if your around we should go annoy robs parents in the garage? :)

If anyone is interested I'm selling my front and rear recaro seats. They are electric but not heated, they are in ok condition for the age. Bottom of seats are a little bit bobbly but that's about it. They will be in the classifieds.

Dan, please use the classifieds for selling off anything you need to.. its fine to link to the ad in your thread and sig as long as its not intrusive. (I have a couple in mine currently)

<tuffty/>

(Future) late night mechanics at robs parents sounds good to me if he permits.

Sorry tuffty will note for future.

I spent Friday fitting my new buckets and harnesses I ended up re using my original seat subframes and re drilling new holes for my side mounts. Took a little while getting them in the right position but all sorted now and looking pretty good. My phone isn't uploading photos right now but ill post some pics up soon.

And some pics from santapod its was a pretty rubbish weekend due to the rain.
Nice and clean on the way there

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363636039142928

Nice and dirty after about 5 minutes on the field :(

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363636070295942

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363636146096652

That's class mate! Have you any idea how mutch weight you've removed from your car yet?

Manage to get it sitting low enough on the standard rails?

looking wicked danny! would be interested in how much weight youve shifted swell if you know?

I'm not to sure how much weight I've removed yet as there is still a lot more stuff to remove ill get the car weighed at some point.

Ok so I've just sold my original recaro seats and had to send the sub frames with them so does anyone know of a compony that make sub frames to fit to the s3, the only one I've found are from ybracing a uk OMP dealer but they seem to have stopped making ones for the passenger side for the moment. Any advice would be great.

Other news the car is in a garage having the air intake sensor rewired, an oil leak sorted out, 4 new coil packs. And just a general check over.

best bet would be recaro or audi i would have thought mate or a breakers yard

Small update, i bought an omp sub frame for the drivers seat and when all fitted it made the seat sit too high so I binned that idea and decided to cut up some steel box section at work and bolt them to the floor, now they are sitting just perfect and feel so much stronger
Here's a pic of the mounts I made.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366660538489300

And a couple pics after fitting a few AMD stickers :)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366660855851858
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366660876355795

Now I just need to get the engine running healthy again. Think its a high chance the bottom end is on its way out so I'm dropping it off at Bills on Friday while I'm in Spain for a month to diagnose the problem and possibly rebuild the engine if it is the bottom end.

Loving the look mate. looks so agressive too!

Can yuo get some bigger pictures up please?

Nah they still baby pics, i usually upload them on photobucket if that helps

Alright guys its been a while since I've been on here due to having a baby and moving to Spain etc, so the Audi was shipped to Spain and put away in my garage neglected to focus on family and work.
I've got next Saturday free to play about with the car, so i think its going to consist of continuing stripping as much weight as i can. I want everything to go that is not necessary to keep it legal and go round a track.
Ideas needed.

Here's a few progress pics from the other weekend, stripped out a bit more of the rear interior and sound deadening.
also removed the huge miltek back box and welded up some pipe to replace it. its now sounding a lot more like a track car now but not too loud to drive.
DSC 0038
DSC 0036
DSC 0040
DSC 0041
DSC 0045
DSC 0046DSC 0042

I bought a second hand instrument cluster off Ebay a while back as all the pixels went on mine and i snapped the needles trying to fix it.
Does anyone know how to reprogram it to my car, I've been told i need vag tacho so i bought a cheap version of the software with a cable from ebay but don't the faintest what to do, any help would be great.