1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caught speeding...all of a sudden:

Discussion in 'Rants & Raves' started by Hurstie, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Hurstie

Hurstie Member

[Aug 17, 2013]
    So I was going along a long road, not residential, and I genuinely believed the speed limit was 40. So my speed was creeping up (not a fast driver just didn't realise) and I see a speed van so jump on the brakes. Got it below 40 before i was in range.

10 days later I get a letter through the post "caught doing 36 in a 30". ****!

I agree to do the speed awareness course.

Less than a month later I was driving along the same road and I see a new sign: "new 40mph speed limit in force".
    So they put a mobile speed camera van out to enforce a 30mph limit, catch a load of people, then change the speed limit to 40.

*******S
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 23, 2014]

3. WAFTER

WAFTER Member

[Aug 23, 2013]
    It's all about the money not the speed.
    Was caught myself doing 40 in a 30 2 months before early retirement and after 22 years driving between 30 & 50 thousand miles per year. 3 points & £60.
    The 2 cars I use have cruise control and as soon as I enter a limit the cruise gets set and wow! I just relax knowing I'm safe from the cameras. It's just not worth being impatient or trying to beat the system. AND I always have sat nav on so that I know the speed limit that's applicable, invaluable when in unfamiliar territory.
    When I want to speed a motor circuit is down the road.
  4. Oranoco

Oranoco Well-Known Member

[Aug 29, 2013]
    Speed limit change will be down to the council, enforcement down to the police. Unfortunately rather than targeting dangerous or accident blackspots they pick on roads where people naturally speed.

I got caught a few weeks back doing 50 in a 40 on a dual carriageway with very set back footways and no junctions or houses. At the time I was being passed by a people carrier. Annoyed as I know if it was assessed under current policy it would be a 50.

2 days later I was passed by a police van on the same road with no blues doing a good 60.

Be happy they raised the limit round me 20 zones are cropping up like nasty spots on a teenagers face.