1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caught doing 98mph :(

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Ghetto, Mar 20, 2005.

1. rickquattro

rickquattro Member

Anyone know the accuracy of the Road Angel GPS speed readout? It always appears slightly lower than my speedo.
  2. nervus

nervus Active Member

very accurate when you remain at a constant speed, though it is a little delayed when accelerating, slowing down etc.
  3. marriedblonde

marriedblonde Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Anyone know the accuracy of the Road Angel GPS speed readout? It always appears slightly lower than my speedo.

[/ QUOTE ]

GPS is accurate to wthin 15 metres so the displayed speed is going to accurate to within +-0.1mph

J.
  4. Ghetto

Ghetto Member

[ QUOTE ]

But that 'should' rarely happen - what's the purpose of the camera/police car checking your speed there when there is clearly no high risk of an accident? It comes back to the age old question, are the cameras/police there to prevent an accident by preventing speeding in specific high risk locations, or just to catch you speeding for a quick buck?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its funny you say that, Humberside police (not sure about the rest of the UK) have had a massive advertising campaign about "Hit a Child at 40mph and they will have an 80% chance of dieing, hit at child at 30mph and they will have an 80% chance of living"
    The policeman that pulled me over said: "Come on you've seen the adverts about hitting children at 40 etc."
    In my mind I really wanted to tell him how many children i'd seen playing alongside the motorway at 2am on a saturday night whilst I was doing 98mph.
  5. TDI-line

TDI-line Uber Post Whore

[​IMG] have no sense of humour.

But that would of been hilarious if you had said that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  6. Kevint

Kevint Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    What's the logical reason for setting the speed limit at 70mph and the fine limit at 79mph?

[/ QUOTE ]

Too many people would be caught if thay were set at 70MPH and the system would not be able to cope.

Perhaps anothe rinteresting question... Why were speed limits introduced? There never used to be any! I don't think it was for safety reasons!

Kev.
  7. ajmackie

ajmackie Member

because someone did 170mph or summit on the M1 or A summit or other. speed limits were temporary measure but never lifted.
  8. IanL-S3

IanL-S3 Member

yeh it was jag back in the day when they used the m1 as a test track /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif e-type i think.
  9. brandona4

brandona4 Member

[ QUOTE ]
    One other thing. How fast would we be driving if speed cameras did not exist?

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember the day they introduced them nationally. Before you always got the feeling that you'd been found out and not caught out like you are today!
    fecking speeding tax nowadays. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    What's the logical reason for setting the speed limit at 70mph and the fine limit at 79mph?

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason they can't set the limit at 70 is because they can't gaurantee your speedo's 100% accurate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    yeh it was jag back in the day when they used the m1 as a test track /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif e-type i think.

[/ QUOTE ]

feck me that would be cool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
  10. nervus

nervus Active Member

I was told that our speed limit was introduced following accident statistics published in the states following the introduction of their temporary 55 mph limit they introduced due to an oil shortfall?

The spped limit was supposed to be a temporary thing, but as more and more cars flooded our roads, accident rates went up and they feared raising the bar
  11. h5djr

h5djr Active Member

The 70 mph spped limit was introduced long before the States had a 55 mph limit. Not sure of the reason for it's introduction but it was initially supposed to be temporary, probably for one of the many fuel crisis.
  12. nervus

nervus Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    The 70 mph spped limit was introduced long before the States had a 55 mph limit. Not sure of the reason for it's introduction but it was initially supposed to be temporary, probably for one of the many fuel crisis.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it was kept though based on accident statistics following the 55 limit in the usa though. Well maybe it was one of the excuses for keeping it.
  13. Karcsi

Karcsi Member

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason they can't set the limit at 70 is because they can't gaurantee your speedo's 100% accurate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That was not the point of my question. How do they decide at what point speed is dangerous and inevitably will lead to a fatal accident on a motorway? I take 70mph as being an arbitrary limit to start with.

I think relative speed, traffic concentration, and weather are the most important factors (assuming a reasonable driver, which I hope most people are). All three could be factored in to adjust the speed limit on motorways automatically. So 2am, dry, no other cars on the road could logically = 150mph max!
  14. DaveS3Turbo

DaveS3Turbo Sepang Blue S3

I'll tell you why this will never happen

The reason being that it would be do hard to administor...

For example...

People will lose track of time and " not realise "
  15. Calibos

Calibos Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That was not the point of my question. How do they decide at what point speed is dangerous and inevitably will lead to a fatal accident on a motorway? I take 70mph as being an arbitrary limit to start with.

I think relative speed, traffic concentration, and weather are the most important factors (assuming a reasonable driver, which I hope most people are). All three could be factored in to adjust the speed limit on motorways automatically. So 2am, dry, no other cars on the road could logically = 150mph max!

[/ QUOTE ]

Weren't the speed limits something to do with a Ford Anglia because it was the most common car on the roads at the time. It had a top speed of 70 and a certain stopping distance. And so the powers that be arbitrarily chose that as the limit (this was back in the sixties.) The limits haven't changed since then but the powers that be haven't upped the limits to take into account that the most basic car these days can be traveling half as fast again as the current limits and still stop in a shorter distance than the old Anglia.
  16. CJ A4

CJ A4 Active Member

Yeah i agree our cars can stop quicker and are alot more responsive but that doesnt really help when all you see is the number of accidents on our roads every day because of the muppets who have no idea of speed, judegement and timing hence the daily toll off accidents.......i see them everyday on my journey too and from work. Its crazy! At the end of the day i suppose the better a car is it will help a little but we will always have the twats that no matter what they drive they will cause accidents and basically really shouldnt be behind a wheel at all!
  17. steeve

steeve Member

I seem to remember several things which lead to the introduction of the max legal speed limit, I think one was the fuel crisis, and the other was because of the Chief Constable of Northamptonshire at the time, a guy called John Gott. He test drove an AC Cobra down the motorway at about 17 or so miles an hour and it got got very high publicity, do a Google search I'm sure something will come up on him.He was a real car enthusiast who used to race at weekends.......
    Wouldnt get CC like that now.

STEVE.......
  18. Karcsi

Karcsi Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I'll tell you why this will never happen

The reason being that it would be do hard to administor...

For example...

People will lose track of time and " not realise "

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, this would be quite easy to administrate (although expensive establish). Speed cameras would be linked to the signs, and the signs would be spaced so that you cannot be caught out if a sign changes just after you've passed it. This could be part of the charging system our precious government want to introduce.

Then again, signs currently don't even react fast enough to inform you of a hold up several junctions ahead. How many times have you become stuck in traffic just after a junction, with several miles of crawling (if you are lucky) to get to the next one.
  19. jungle

jungle Member

The famous AC test is not generally credited with the introduction of the national 70mph limit - this is more often blamed on the arrival of the relatively affordable E Type.

The "speed kills" argument is backed up by statistics. At a road traffic accident, paperwork completed by the arriving officers must include an assessment of the cause of the accident. If the officer ticks "speed" as a relevant issue, then another crash is added to the "speed" column in the national statistics.

A number of organisations have been highly critical of this approach to compiling stats. In a crash at speed where oil / diesel, bald tyres or other obvious candidates are not evident, it is easiest for an officer to "tick" the "speed" box. Hence the majority of accidents are speed related.

Both the AA and the RAC cite the growing number of road deaths as evidence that more police are needed on the roads, where they can prosecute dangerous driving, poorly maintained vehicles and inappropriate use of speed. It is their view that by replacing police cars with cameras, the govt has a vested interest in making speed the sole factor in traffic accidents.
  20. imported_S_Line

imported_S_Line Guest

Theres a time and a place for speeding.

Motorways and Dualcarrigeways are in my mind acceptable places, when the road is clear.

I see stupid things, like muppets undertaking and swerving accross lanes to under take and then overtake.
    ITs these idiots that should be stamped out.

Dont start me off on the Mobile Laser Cash machines either ! LOL !

Speed Kills, yes its true cause its obvious !

But Old Duffers who cant see and cant drive Kill as well.
  21. Karcsi

Karcsi Member

There's an unclassified road between Old Warden and Cardington (between Biggleswade and Bedford). The road is quite a busy commuter route, for such a small road, but the 60mph limit is wholly unacceptable for such a narrow road with so many blind bends, with stupid stupid people cutting corners or misjudging a left hander and coming across the other side. A couple of times, if had been driving just a little bit faster and arrived at a corner at the same time, I may not be writing to you now.

Sometimes driving at a sensible speed does save lives. But only because it prevented you from being in the wrong place at the wrong time, and not because anyone was speeding.
  22. benw123

benw123 Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Sometimes driving at a sensible speed does save lives. But only because it prevented you from being in the wrong place at the wrong time, and not because anyone was speeding.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Agreed. Speed limits mean nothing in reality - you should always drive according to the road and weather conditions matched to your own driving ability. For example, I think outside all schools and shopping areas a limit of 20mph makes more sense, whereas on more remote sections of motorways (i.e. between junctions and services), a limit of 80mph is acceptable.

Yet if it's pouring with rain, or in reduced visibility, your speed should drop accordingly. Speed limits are not targets.
  23. djjnrj

djjnrj Guest

missus was caught doin an average of 105mph on the M40 got a 1 week ban & a 200 quid fine. this was due to the fact she said her job needed her to be mobile across the UK so they tought a one week ban would "teach her a lesson"

YEAH RIGHT
  24. arthurfuxake

arthurfuxake Controversial & Contradictive

I was caught doing 40 in a 30 zone at 21:30 through an industrial office park. Zero other cars or pedestrians on the road, brightly lit, dry road and was given 3 points and £60 fine. The speeding system needs an overhaul. I know that any one of the busses on our roads would not be able to stop in even twice the distance that I would at the same speed. Even a new suzuki leana will not be able to stop as quickly as i would, so why do they get to do the same speed as i do?
  25. brandona4

brandona4 Member

I was caught doing 40 on a '30' dual carridgeway on a wednesday night at midnight. It wasn't at all clear what the limit was meant to be (no signs), and the copper said he was only speed trapping because he was bored. Is that fair?
  26. nervus

nervus Active Member

I was stopped this morning doing 36 in a 30 and let off - unbelieveable!
  27. Eeef

Eeef Lord of War

[ QUOTE ]
    I know that any one of the busses on our roads would not be able to stop in even twice the distance that I would at the same speed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a stand up with a copper once, who tried to tell me that all cars stop in the same distance...

Me "So you're trying to tell me that a Citroen 2cv will stop in the same distance as a Porsche 911?"
    plod "Yes"
    Me "You're an idiot"
    plod "I used to drive the traffic car "
    Me "I'm not suprised your in a fiesta now then if that's the extent of your knowledge"

Theres nothing I like better than having a row with the rozzers when you know they can't prove jack, and your cars is 100% legit.

Awesome. He didn't even give me a producer in the end.
  28. brandona4

brandona4 Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Me "So you're trying to tell me that a Citroen 2cv will stop in the same distance as a Porsche 911?"
    plod "Yes"
    Me "You're an idiot"
    plod "I used to drive the traffic car "
    Me "I'm not suprised your in a fiesta now then if that's the extent of your knowledge"

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jump.gif
  29. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

[ QUOTE ]

Theres nothing I like better than having a row with the rozzers when you know they can't prove jack, and your cars is 100% legit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eeef mate,I couldn't agree with you more.
    I've had my share of stand-up rows with coppers as well.
    A few examples are;

Local copper,who rode motorbikes,always used to say "take you lot out in the country and you wouldn't have a clue".So I challenged him to a race,off the record,on any bike he wanted.Twat backed down.

Another copper cut me up by going straight on in the right hand lane of a roundabout,when he should know people in the LH land have right of way.I flashed my lights at the git until he pulled over and he got such a friggin lecture.He tried to intimidate me by following me around for a while afterwards,the twat.

I bawled out a motorbike copper a few weeks back when I caught him at some lights in the town,wearing a jet black visor that would get me pulled over.It was funny seeing the Saturday shoppers' faces.

Years ago I managed to find myself behind a Senator which was 'blue lighting' it's way over a country road.
    I was in a Cavalier Sri.
    The twat was holding me up,but I daren't overtake him,so I just sat on his tail.They came to my work (company car) the next day and tried to lecture me about it.I just gave them verbal back about the standard of his driving being crap and how I was glad it wasn't me he was 'rushing' to help.

You should not be scared to 'have a go',provided you've not done anything wrong yourself that is !
  30. scoTTy

scoTTy Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Even a new suzuki leana will not be able to stop as quickly as i would, so why do they get to do the same speed as i do?

[/ QUOTE ]
    So how would you enforce a law where every vehicle had it's own speed limit? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    I had a stand up with a copper once, who tried to tell me that all cars stop in the same distance...

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's what they're taught and what you're taught it you do an advanced driving course. Of course there is some difference but I believe it's quite low (i.e. 1-2%).

This is why when there's an accident they do a surface grip test in the plod car and from that they can work out the speed as it's the same (to a small degree of difference) for any normal road car.
  31. rickquattro

rickquattro Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

but you don't even need to be in a car...or even be angry. Stay calm for maximum impact when you try this.

Tap the glass on a patrol vehicle and remind the occupants politely that they should really be wearing seatbelts. This will provide you with the same inner glow as a bowl of nuclear Reddybrek from the winter ad's on the telly.

Go on, have a go. Because you can! :You owe it to the community as a good citizen to keep scoundrels on the right side of the law.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif

Rick
  32. jungle

jungle Member

There is a police speed enforcement ford escort van that regularly parks in a layby near my house. The road is a 30mph limit but the last 800 yds of it are completely countryside - no houses at all. Obviously, this is where the van parks up with its cameras hidden in the back windows.

Anyone seeing this type of behaviour should try parking in the layby right up against their back doors, blocking the cameras. Then turn off your engine, lock the doors and lie back in your car for a safety nap, ideally with your jacket over your face. Highly amusing.
  33. Eeef

Eeef Lord of War

[ QUOTE ]

Of course there is some difference but I believe it's quite low (i.e. 1-2%).

[/ QUOTE ]

Cobblers.

Have a look on t'interweb or car related websites for 100-0mph tests, vast difference.
  34. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

There was a very famous case in Aberdeen a few years back.
    You may remember this Japper,it was at Mannofield in the town.
    A police Senator (nice wide tyres,which will become relevant later) lost control around a bend that could easily be taken in the dry at 100+ mph and,in the wet,at not much less.
    Seriously,it's more of a kink than a bend.

A police officer,on his way to a call,went round this bend,lost it,clipped a parked car then rocketed across the road sideways for a distance of around 40 yards,onto the pavement and into an old couple.

He cut the poor old gentleman clean in half before proceeding to hit a block of flats so hard that he knocked the breeze blocks in about a foot and the whole building had to be jacked up and repaired.

You getting a picture of the sort of speed and impact this copper was doing,in a 30mph zone,now ???

The police investigation determined he took the bend at 40mph.
    Despite all the evidence and despite witnesses saying he was flat out and they heard him accelerate through the gears at max revs.

They closed ranks and,IMO,lied.

There is no way on earth one could do so much damage at 40mph.

It's made me quite bitter towards the local traffic police and I have mentioned it before to them.
  35. brandona4

brandona4 Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cobblers.

Have a look on t'interweb or car related websites for 100-0mph tests, vast difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto, Top Gear did it as well.
    The differences were HUGE!
  36. Japper

Japper Ibis S3 Fan Club

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cobblers.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto, Top Gear did it as well.
    The differences were HUGE!

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto again, as porsche's are renowned for their stopping prowess. Think this was the winner on the Top gear demo.
  37. brandona4

brandona4 Member

[ QUOTE ]
    as porsche's are renowned for their stopping prowess. Think this was the winner on the Top gear demo

[/ QUOTE ]

...by about 50 yards!

If my memory serves me correctly, the car they based all the original distances on was one of the cars in the test (A Morris Minor I believe).
    Didn't Clarkson have enough time to climb out of his porsche and watch the Morris hit the hay at the end of the runway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif
  38. scoTTy

scoTTy Active Member

If this test is so inacurate then how come it gets through the courts?
    I'm not a scientist so just repeating what you get on taught. I have to admit to being sceptical at the time. Also about the news that normal road cars car corner at the same (again wiht a small deviation) speed.

p.s. Don't shoot the messenger! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
  39. Karcsi

Karcsi Member

Car magazines using do 70-0 (i think) brake tests when comparing cars in the same bracket. The differences are usually much greater that 1 or 2%. However, even the 5% or so difference they can find between the best and worst is probably the standard deviation for the average driver anyway.
  40. arthurfuxake

arthurfuxake Controversial & Contradictive

And we're not even taking the non-ABS cars that are still on our roads today. An ABS fitted car will stop quicker than a non-ABS car, and then we have cars fitted with ABS and EBD!!!! So, no, not all cars are created equal!!!!