Catalytic converter rattle

claytox

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a VERY annoying cat rattle in my 2002 1.8 na A3. I was just wondering if I can just bash it out or if a replacement is necessary? As there is a post cat sensor I'm pretty sceptical on bashing it out.

Cheers

It won't pass an MOT if you snash the cat out and you will get an engine management light.

MOT isn't a worry to me, where I live there's minimal rules about that stuff (no yearly checks or anything)
Got a quote to get a new one welded in, $350..

Is it definitely the 'cats' rattling mate?

I had a rattle down there on my S3 and it was where the bolts holding the heatshield on had rusted off.

Reactions: Stuart B and warren9022
when I removed the cat on my TT I found the bolts holding the heat shield to the top of the cat had basically disintegrated and it was loose rattling around.The actual internals of the cat wouldn't rattle.

I’ve had a rattling CAT in the past. It’s the internal cat baffles that have broken off their internal mount.

Only option is to replace, it it’s an expensive item if you go OEM, so best to shop around, or even find used if possible.

If the MOT is not a worry just go straight through, not sure if you can drill out the cats?

As an update to those interested

I bashed the cat out, but due to the silly designed pipe shape access was limited, and for ease of access I unbolted the exhaust from the manifold and turned it upside down (couldn't take it out completely due to lack of hoist)
Because the cat was loose inside the housing, it was a massive pain to bash into peices small enough to come out the exhaust hole also, probably 3hrs of just grinding up little bits and getting them out over all.
Been driving for about a week now and no CEL yet, but I've ordered a CEL eliminator just in case it does happen ($40 off fleabay)

Cheers