cat pipe turbo side came off

Fraser

Reaction score
was overtaking 4 cars and heard a huge gutteral groan on way back from viewing a house

feck! says the wife...

pulled over and saw that the cat pipe that mates to the fixing studs to the turbo has popped off, looks like weld failed or when the car was having a new exhaust fitted the other day the garage have twisted the cat when mating up to it and weakened the weld somehow

letting the car cool now and will refit it tomorrow to see how it runs

should be able to get it rewelded do you think? or is it new cat time?

wife uses the car for commuting so a decat is not going to help her mpg's

if its good enough to weld that'll be cheaper than a cat mate, i'd try that first.

think i will

just fitted a brand new maf this morning that cost £250 as well!

1996 maf - non exchange unfortunately

car was getting rubbish mpg's so this saved fuel will pay for it soon

cheers

Ahh yes the early ones, ******. Weld that DP and she will be good to go, it's the old, cast welded to steel problem.

try and find someone who use TiG welding, the penetration even with dissimilar metals is excellent. I've welded stainless to mild with almost no visible seam and no cracking at the HAZ area at all using TiG.

thanks will try that tomorrow, need to get the fecker off today, not good as wet and raining plus no ramps

sorry mate, I sympathise with your plight having no access to pit or ramp either, its a total *******. Its a shame the diy garage thing never took off, I thought i had nothing better to do than look up the nearest one.....unfortunately they seem to have followed the betamax and the Atari.....to "good idea heaven" lol

Are there no mobile mechs or welders near your area?

I'd pay £25 for someone else to lay in the rain getting my cat off ha ha :)

massive thanks to unit 20 who fixed this up for me today