Cat engine mount?

JonnyDerv

Reaction score
So I took my A4 (b5) 1.9 tdi to have the cat removed and was told it would cost £250 because they'd have to remove an engine mount. Obviously I said no, but is this actually true as it's the first I've ever heard of someone having to remove an engine mount to get to the cat on an tdi :/

hmm maybe, it is above the OS mount, although i cant see why removing the engine mount would take to long!

where abouts are you? where did you take it?

Derby.

It was a regional garage called ETS. To be honest they were very rude and treated me like an idiot, why do I wanna do it? It's not worth it on "just" a diesel, will just cake my car in soot blah blah. I left quite annoyed to be honest.

Apparently it would take two hours to just get the mount off.

sounds like BS to me, shame your not closer, id do it for you!

I just don't think they could be bothered. Had a mufflerectomy at another branch before and they were fine.

Why where are you?

Oh lol. I'm liking the mufflerectomy anyway, definitely feels quicker to spool and more powerful midrange. Looking forward to testing it when the roads aren't wet

You don't need to take the engine mount off to get the cat/ downpipe out on a B5 A4 as it will be the same as the Passat.
You need to take the air box out and I had to move the actuator out of the way on the side of the EGR valve.
Took me about 30 minutes to get it out and that includes jacking the car up on axle stands etc. It comes out in a corkscrew like motion because of the shape.

Karl

Yeah I thought it sounded wrong as I knew its the same platform as the passat and I've never heard of anyone taking off an engine mount for the cat. Is it worth doing Karl? I'm quite surprised how much smooth an perky the mufflerectomy has made it, just wouldn't want it any louder and all the horror stories you see about all of back pressure, it's either great for the turbo or **** for it lol