Cat C damage

hammondr

Reaction score
thinking about buying a cat C damaged car have any of you bought a damaged car before according to advert it just needs painting are the usually a lot work needed in these damaged car for them to pass a vic test

The VIC doesnt take into account any repairs, its just an Vehicle Identity Check to check the car isnt a ringer.

Depends on the car tbh, i bought back the GFs Cat c TQS and rebuilt it and had it painted etc Ant that was damage to the front end, whole passenger side, sump damage etc. They rated the damage at 4800 and the value of the car at 4700 so they wrote it off.

You need to tread carefully, Cat C is more damage than the car is worth, full stop

My brother was after a little runablout and 'accidently' won a Cat C Corsa at auction. It was dropping to bits. Wouldnt recommend it tbh. Although he did make his money back when he resold it at auction.

Unless it's silly cheap, don't bother. And, unless you're planning on keeping it for ages, they're a pain in the **** to resell!!

it could be worth it if its cheap enough..
I did an S2 before & it worked out fine for me. Think thats why i liked it so much after all the work i put into it!

Got the panels from a scrap yard & did the engine work myself.
It depends how much you can do yourself too...

Tread carefully dude, if its a high spec car, be cautious as the cost of repair and parts will be high on those cars, you might be able to get a bargain, however if money is an issue, see if you can save some more money and get yourself a proper car, just for piece of mind.

If it was me, I wouldnt.

I guess it all depends on what it is going for, and what is REALLY wrong with it. Might not look like much, but if things like gearbox and the like also got damaged, then that will cost. It does not sound like you are in the trade, so unless you know some one who is, labour costs will add even more, plus you are going to want the work to be done by someone who knows their way around that model of car, as there are always going to be little caveats that a general mechanic will not know.

You only have to read through some of the old threads to hear how even Audi have messed up a few basic services, let alone repairs.

Try to get quotes before hand, but you wont get much until some one gets eyes on it, so is it worth the risk, or can you drop a few more notes and get something you can drive right away?