CASTROL GTX HIGH MILEAGE 15W-40

Welly

335D Driver :-)
Reaction score
CASTROL GTX HIGH MILEAGE 15W-40....

Any good for higher mileage engines, or better off sticking with 10W 40 GTX Magnatec?

Thoughts appreciated...

Whats your mileage??

I have always used Castrol GTX 10w-40

ooohhh, ok in that case, I would probably say yes then to usethe high mileage one.

Yeah, I thought it was wortha blast. I'm gonna drop some engine flush through it too, the sh1t 10W 40 oil that the garage put in it has got to go, I wouldn't put it in a lawn mower!

Anyone know the 1.8T's sump capacity off hand. Seem to remember it being 4L?

Would you believe that Argos of all places is the cheapest to get it? £17.99 for 4L. Madness!:wtf:

Last edited:
I'd stick to 10w-40, with winter round the corner you want slightly thinner oil on start up, if you've put 10w-40 in and its running sweet why change? 133k isn't really that high

Because there is reasonable excessive engine noise, and I'm a little concerned having been a victim of to thin an oil in the past....

But then again, it might just be the lack of quality from the oil that’s currently in there. It is the cheapest of the cheap and nasty.... Possibly made from camel dung mixed with vegetable oil.

ha ha!:) Is it the tappets making the noise bud? Maybe a good engine flush then 10w-40 magnatec would do the trick?

Na, the tappets are OK, they're suprisingly quiet to be fair. I can hear the camshafts rotating around though and it doesn't fill me with joy...

I've whipped the oil cap off, plenty of pressure, plenty of oil in the top end, I guess it's just rubbish. I've bought some engine flush as I must admit I do that religiously anyway. I'll give the trusty old Magnatec a blaaaaaast and report back.

What are your thoughts about the engine flush?
No concerns about displacing the sh*t that has already built up in and around your engine and blocking oilways / pump pickup strainer etc?

i use it once a year as i do an 3 oil changes a year, 0w40 mobil 1, been using this oil since 70k, its now done 116k and all is fine so far, i think if your cars getting one oil change every 10-12k then using engine flush might disturb the muck and cause issues

As already said stick with 10w-40 over 15w-40 as the cold flow will be better, this is important at start up.

Though to be honest, if the car is modified in any way or used hard I would be using synthetic.

Dont worry about the mileage, even with galactic mileage as longs as the engine is in good shape no reason to use a thicker high mileage oil (think things like old ford orions etc for high mileage oils).

Cheers

Guy

To be honest it isnt worth any more than that, I sell it and sadly its a very over priced oil as its just a mineral multigrade.

Personally I would use something better then the GTX even if it is just a good quality 10w-40 semi synthetic.

Cheers

Guy

Guy, i always use Mobil, 10w40 in summer and 0w40 in the winter, is there a 10w40 Motul oil you can recommend or even better a 0w40. I've heard that the Motul oil is good for the 1.8t 210bhp/225bhp engines.I do frequent oil changes so the long life 5w30 isn't something i want for mine. Thanks

Guy, i always use Mobil, 10w40 in summer and 0w40 in the winter, is there a 10w40 Motul oil you can recommend or even better a 0w40. I've heard that the Motul oil is good for the 1.8t 210bhp/225bhp engines.I do frequent oil changes so the long life 5w30 isn't something i want for mine. Thanks

No need to change grade from summer to winter these days, not in the UK.

I would use the Mobil 0w-40 for all year use, or if you want a Motul oil the Motul 8100 Xcess 5w-40 is well priced and an ideal synthetic for all year round use changed every 10,000 miles or once a year, what ever comes first.

You can find it here http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Cheers

Guy