Carputer

Biglockie

Aye you know it makes sense
Reaction score
Any one installed one or thinking of??

I'm looking into the poossibility of installing one, but not too sure about how to go about it.

chris:uhm:

was really considering it a year or so back, they seem really good but after having my subwoofer fit in the boot just the idea of a harddrive will seriously hamper car performance (more weight = slower car) I'm a weight freak as well, which model are they thinking of going for?

Not sure really been on a couple of web sites where the guys have built them themselves, think this would eb the route I'd go down, as was considering installing a multi media system in the car and this would remove the need for seperat sat nav and dvd systems, would also run a seperate music system.

the weight thing doesnt bother me at the moment we have a daughter so won't really be hammering the car as she is in most of the tim when I'm in.

Most fo the systems appear to be made up from laptop components, from what I can gather

Yeah those harddrives weigh a ton! That 3Kg of laptop will seriously effect your 0-60 times!

i've got a cappuccino micro pc hooked up to the TV tuner on my RNS-D. awesome piece of kit, movies, music, bluetooth phone and a permanent vag-com connection. runs off a laptop power supply from maplins. it boots up as i operate the central locking from the standard audi key fob and shuts down when i lock and arm the alarm.

only problem is trying to control it, i've tried a few methods and at the moment i'm using a glidepoint touchpad but will probably swap that for a wireless presenter at some point.

Something like that I'm looking for especially with the VAG com connection being permanent.

sweet!!

you could always try and concentrate on actually driving rather than navigating Windows while at the wheel. Scary stuff.

Cheers Fella, I'll check it when I get home

chris

I have one in my Mk4 Golf (now the WifeyCar).

I'll be putting one in my 2004 A3, which I've just got recently.

I'm going to start putting the project together in the next few weeks, but for now, I'm enjoying the 'stock' car as it is.

Any questions, ask...

Nice one fella lookingat starting the project next month.

That FTO article is really good, I can get my hands on an old laptop and think I might attempt this. A laptop is a lot simpler method than building a small pc which was my first thought. My only problem really is finding a space to mount the 7" touch screen in an Audi A4? As I dont really want to lose the Audi head unit and climate control. Any ideas?

It it was me, i'd be looking at either a laptop, or preferably a MAC mini in the glovebox that uses the stock RNS-D or E display - then control the lot with a bluetooth remote control.

madvw said:
It it was me, i'd be looking at either a laptop, or preferably a MAC mini in the glovebox that uses the stock RNS-D or E display - then control the lot with a bluetooth remote control.
i agree - i have also been thinking of a mac mini in the glovebox but only thing is that macs are (in my view) very good for media stuff like itunes (mp3s) and generally they are better for "looking nice". Windows is good for geeky stuff so you will generally have more options in terms of software and compatability. I have an xbox 360 project in mind (check my gallery notes) but just gotta get some inspiration from somewhere as it is a tricky idea i have up my sleeves.....

P.S. if you have an A4 and dont want to remove the standard stereo and air con then you should make a custom fibreglass "pod" for it so it can be mounted on your dashboard. would be a lot easier and would look nicer if you removed your standard headunit and replaced it for a double din touchscreen:footy:

Yeah, am I right in thinking though if i remove the standard HU I will have to buy another amp/speakers to run sound from the car PC?

Nooby question: what is DIN/double DIN? am i right in thinking its just the standard for the size of slots the Head units/other bits take up in the dash board area?

Rich said:
Yeah, am I right in thinking though if i remove the standard HU I will have to buy another amp/speakers to run sound from the car PC?

Nooby question: what is DIN/double DIN? am i right in thinking its just the standard for the size of slots the Head units/other bits take up in the dash board area?
not necessarily, i have a DVD motorised monitor headunit in my car that allows you to connect multiple external video sources i.e. you could connect a dvd player to it using video and audio jacks (yellow,red,white connections). so that means i can connect a laptop and a playstation and will also have the option of the built in dvd. the plus point of an all in one system (i.e. motorised dvd monitor) is that you get power to your speakers.
if you just bought a touch screen monitor for the dash then you would need a seperate amp as there will be no power to your speakers.

DIN double DIN is just the size of the headunit. normal headunits are single din and the big headunits (i.e. RNS-E) are double DIN. in audis you can swap between single and double din quite easily. im not sure if this is the same for your A4 but in my 2002 A4 i just have to buy a new bracket that will let me fit an RNS-E or the old audi sat nav. this is a double din slot. then just fit your double din monitor and get one of those cosmetic surround plates to go around it. it works the same if you have the standard audi HU and want to put an aftermarket single DIN headunit in there.

justin123 said:
not necessarily, i have a DVD motorised monitor headunit in my car that allows you to connect multiple external video sources i.e. you could connect a dvd player to it using video and audio jacks (yellow,red,white connections). so that means i can connect a laptop....

If you connect a PC or a laptop to any screen with a composite connection (y/r/w connections), the image quality will be rubbish.

There are specific screens with VGA connections which will give you the best picture - e.g. http://linitx.com/product_info.php?cPath=64&products_id=773

You are right about the need to amp the sound though...

While I'm here, here's a 'plan' of my wiring and planning that I eventually settled on when installing a PC in my Mk4 Golf...

...it did change slightly in the end, but not by much.