Carpet cleaner

ScottD3

I want your faulty electronics
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
wheelsnwires.blogspot.com
I assume a normal house hold carpet cleaner will be ok to use on the carpets in the car.
But do you know if it will ok to use on the roof linning?

I understand I can't soak the linning and that there might be drips but apart from that would it be ok?

It could fade on the roof material. Have you considered using a steam cleaner before attempting chemicals

I have heard of a 'magic sponge' that is great for doing headcloths. Try googling it

dont know what house hold carpet cleaner will be like on car carpets should be ok but TEST an area first for colour fastness also in work we use fabric cleaner/upholstery cleaner with a DAMP chamois then just spray a little on the area to be cleaned then with the chamois just wipe the cleaner off also rubbing it in a bit to losen dirt it should lift out alot of dirt on the headlining also using a chamois helps drying time too give it a try , but remember only use a little cleaner on the roof lining hope this helps

It could fade on the roof material. Have you considered using a steam cleaner before attempting chemicals
Not tried a steam cleaner.
I'll try and get hold of one.

Any chance of the steam causing damage to the roof linning it self, not the fabric? Paranoid it steam or carpet cleaner would cause the fabric to come away from the linning or warping it.

dont know what house hold carpet cleaner will be like on car carpets should be ok but TEST an area first for colour fastness also in work we use fabric cleaner/upholstery cleaner with a DAMP chamois then just spray a little on the area to be cleaned then with the chamois just wipe the cleaner off also rubbing it in a bit to losen dirt it should lift out alot of dirt on the headlining also using a chamois helps drying time too give it a try , but remember only use a little cleaner on the roof lining hope this helps

I've tried that on most of the marks and its ok for the odd one or two. the rest are a bit more tougher and not I got some really clean spots that i'm trying to move.

Looking at the sponge now.

Thanks for the tips lads.

I have heard of a 'magic sponge' that is great for doing headcloths. Try googling it

Those sponges are especially great for taking the shine off steering wheels and deep cleaning leather as Fran rightly mentioned. No cleaning products necessary. Did my seats at couple of weeks back and its amazing what they remove off even the cleanest looking leather. They are a must & everyone should have one!

A 10:1 (water/product) solution of Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner, Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner | Meguiar's Car Care & Detailing Products agitated with a good quality detailing brush should shift it well.

The Meguiar's APC is designed for interior use and should be absolutely fine on headlinings with little/no risk of staining.

That Meguiar's APC is starting to look very very usefull.
I might have to order some and a brush.

I'm going to grab one of them sponges this week.

Those sponges are especially great for taking the shine off steering wheels and deep cleaning leather as Fran rightly mentioned. No cleaning products necessary. Did my seats at couple of weeks back and its amazing what they remove off even the cleanest looking leather. They are a must & everyone should have one!
its suprissing what they clean very usefull little things they are i swear by them

i use them in work they are the best invention since sliced bread i use them on leather to really deep clean the leather also on plastics they're awesome things i highly recomend them here's a link to halfords website just for an idea what they are , Halfords | The Great White Sponge Scuff & Stain Remover

I went to halfords and bought one of them sponges and I thought it was poo.
What ever surfice I used it on, it would leave this white dusty film all over it.
Looked great when the surfice was wet but soon as it dried I had to go over it again to get the dust off.

It did work really well on in side of the doors, the metal bits that you dont normally clean (well, I keep missing them) and then a quick wipe down and done.
I wont be using it on the dash or leather again.

IMAG0207.jpg

I used the carpet cleaner on my matts over the weekend and it worked really well.
The 12 year old matts and carpets came up a treat. Most of the stains was removed, the colour got darker and carpet felt softer.
The car even smells better.

Should have got before and after pics really but forgot.
Next time I will.

Thanks for the info lads.

Fair play for giving it a try Axios, as I said I only really use them for leather and steering wheel etc and as they remove whatever product residue is on the surface anyway - you have to retreat and apply fresh products after cleaning. Because of this I have never found the sub standard residue and finish a problem as the job isn't done yet.

i use them all day every day in work and have never had a problem with them mate i use them with a upholstry cleaner not just plain water how did you use them ??

Just plain water.
Get wet and rub over surfice.
Dash, leather and body work. all had the same effect.
Not a problem, just a bit of a pain that I cleaned all the surfices (on the misses car) and then had to go over them again to remove the dusty residue.

well in work we use them the same way but sometimes with a little upholstry cleaner but always go over the area after wards with a damp cloth or chamois i think i must have forgotten to say about the cloth bit soz if i did

everybody has different ways of cleaning cars eh

Yeah but its a good thing. we'd never learn or improve if we all did it the same as the first person.

Yep - as is life its funny how doing one job always leads to another :)
Thats great, untill you get carried away and run out of time to finish your first job or forget what it was. lol