Carbon fibre intake mani - hmmm?

Scullies

Reaction score
carbonfibreintakemanifold.jpg

What your thoughts on something like this?

Also could anyone explain the design shape of the SEM or IE inlet manifold vs the APR tube type design ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive just jizzed in my pants, haha.

Is that genuine carbon fibre or wrapped? Also it looks like the runner section from a AGU manifold, that right?

I don't know the price, does look awesome and it states in real carbon.
I found it on google
performancevwmag.com :: View topic - Carbon Fibre intake manifold

I could make one as we make all types of moulds for fibreglass, then just get the carbon vacuumed by a mate here. I wonder if there would be any kind of gains having carbon or would it just be bling. I would say carbon fibre retains less heat than the aluminium manis.

Heat and looks thats it mate, Ooh and weight.

Hey Guys,

What do you think of this beauty ? It is rated for 800cfm and holds upto 70psi of boost ! Has individual 80mm velocity stacks and accomodates a throttlebody upto 90mm in diameter. Made from real carbon fibre, the 4.8litre plenum weighs 600grms on it's own without the runners. Available for all 1.8T 20V's and for the mighty 2.0 16v turbo.

Its rated at 800cfm's but at how at how many inches? at 800 i bet it was tested at 112 inch rather than the normal 28 inch

70 psi !! i still don't trust it and have seen them explode at less

Many BTCC cars use them, but they're N/A of course, so no positive pressure to speak of. I had a couple of Mountune BTCC 406 coupe inlets, since sold them. They certainly looked the part. Nice Jenvey/TOCA throttle bodies too (limited to 60mm to meet TOCA standards).

Many BTCC cars use them, but they're N/A of course, so no positive pressure to speak of.

Taken from BTCC website regulations page: LINK

All cars, whether S2000 or NGTC-based, entered for 2012’s championship are using turbocharged engines that meet the NGTC regulations.

Might have used them in the past though before TOCA started issuing standardised parts.

Rather than pure carbon, if it was molded from carbon reinforced plastic would it make it any stronger/less likely to shatter (like Audi use for RS3 bumpers)? Heat resistance and weight benefits would still be there, but with a nice price tag I guess.

Sorry, I should have said "used" then. I wasn't aware of the recent changes. Having owned one full carbon inlet and one alloy/carbon inlet I'm pretty sure they were carbon ;) I was in pretty close contact with Tony @ Touring Car Spares and bought many ex-VLR & Mountune BTCC 406 parts when I was building a 2.0 16v 306 track car. Spent a fortune. Almost bought an ex VLR 406 shell but I'd always wanted a 306 BTCC rep so got my own shell prepped.

Certainly the only restriction previously was the 60mm Jenvey/TOCA throttle body as I pointed out. I doubt they'd be standardising inlet manifolds even now though, would they? They might well set a maximum runner and plenum chamber volume if that was the case perhaps.

Just checked Tony's site and he currently has a 2009 focus inlet on there:

LG-201.JPG

Here's the 60mm Jenvey/TOCA throttle body (which must be reasonably current):

LG-202.JPG

Jenvey make some nice gear. I miss my throttle bodies :'(