carbon build up on RS4 FSI

JAJ

Reaction score
Hi guys, been reading on several forums about carbon build up problems of which i had not heard of until now on the fsi engine. Does anyone know what to do to see if mine is suffering from it and what to do if it has a build up ? also saw somewhere about checking air flaps ? again how do i check this ? Thanks in advance.

There is a software update for the engine ecu's (there are two) to reduce the warm up phase enrichment, as this dumps excess fuel to allow the cats to reach operating temp asap
the manifold flaps rarely fail and to decarbon engine it would require the heads off but if no running issues occur then simply update the ecu's to sw 090 (if i recall) and use only the best quality fuel.
I have yet to see a single rs4 or r8 without coked inlet ports but only one which required cleaning.

If you are referring to vacuum system then some vehicles suffered with leaks but most often it was owners trying to be clever and disconnecting the exhaust flaps and failing to seal of the vacuum pipes

the manifold change over potentiometers can stick but again with all these running issues occur or mil on

don't get drawn into the rs forums and there doom and gloom, rs4 is a reliable car with only the drc suspension being the common failure but as this is covered for 7 years then audi have acted on the numerous complaints

Last edited:
Thankyou for your reply, you have been very helpful i only use shell v power fuel and shall make sure the update is done then carry on as normal, thanks again