1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car won't start!!

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by TomS38L, Jan 1, 2014.

1. TomS38L

TomS38L Member

[Jan 1, 2014]
    Hi all,got an s3 and it's started playing up,at first I thought the starter was faulty as there was a delay between turning the key and the engine turning over,today I've gone to start it and there's nothing,all voltages are fine,all lights on dash are on etc and they don't dim when trying to crank,but the starter does t even click,so,turned ignition on got underneath with a couple screwdrivers bridged the starter and she fired straight up! Any suggestions as I'm confused?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 21, 2014]

3. TomS38L

TomS38L Member

[Jan 1, 2014]
    Anyone? :-(
  4. s3_trev

s3_trev 3 door or no door!

[Jan 1, 2014]
    Could it maybe be the starter at fault do you think? Possibly try another starter?
  5. Lewis583

Lewis583 Active Member VCDS Map User

[Jan 1, 2014]
    Have you checked the starter motor solenoid fly lead?

To the starter you will have 2 wires going to the terminals. A large gauge wire (supply direct from battery) and also a smaller gauge wire(fly lead) which is used to activate the starter motor.

If the fly lead connection looks good/clean/tight. Disconnect the fly lead and get someone to hold the key in the start position while you have a voltmeter connected to the fly lead (positive lead on voltmeter) and have the negative lead on the battery earth. You should see battery voltage at the fly lead.
  6. TomS38L

TomS38L Member

[Jan 1, 2014]
    Makes sense,has to be a power supply issue or it wouldn't start so easy by shorting it right? Wouldn't be an ignition problem would it? Thought it was immobiliser at first but again it wouldn't start on a bump then?
  7. Lewis583

Lewis583 Active Member VCDS Map User

[Jan 1, 2014]
    That's why I said check for voltage on the flylead when the key is in the start position.

By shorting the terminals on the starter you are bypassing the ignition switch/control side all together and proving that the motor section of the starter is ok. You just need to check the control side now, starting at the starter solenoid.

Immobiliser issues usually allow the engine to start but it will then cut out after a couple of seconds.
  8. TomS38L

TomS38L Member

[Jan 1, 2014]
    Right ok mate thanks,hate electrics lol
  9. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Jan 1, 2014]
    and waiting too it seems.....:undwech:
  10. TomS38L

TomS38L Member

[Jan 1, 2014]
    Cars dead in the road that's why,sorry if I seemed inpatient.