Car won't run

vr6gordy

Reaction score
Audi cab 1.8t quattro .. Yesurday Car won't start just keeps on cranking .. Fuel pump not priming so checked fuse and fuse is fine but has no power to it so checked relay and think it's dead .. So pulled out relay and checked the contacts and there's power there .. Bridged it so get fuel pump to prime and it pump came on .. So this morning went to scrap yard and found 2 relays the same 167 so got home and tried them still won't start but I can feel the relay click just once .. Can this mean the relay is good and my problem is something else or can the relay click and be knackered got a new relay coming on Tuesday I hope that will fix it

Did you try and start it with the fuel pump relay bridged.
The relay could well still be heard to click, but if the contacts are really knackered it won't work.
Has the relay got more than one set of contacts? Sometimes it will turn on power to the fuel injectors as well.
Fairly common fault back in my Vauxhall days.. hopefully a new relay will fix it.

Need to send voltage to the ecu to get it to run and don't sont to risk it

No fair enough, I'd be the same if thats the case.
You could try and take the relay apart and clean the contacts up, they don't very often last long again but will sometimes prove a point..
You'll see if they're burnt and pitted.

Think I just got unlucky and got knackered relays plus I don't no how long they been stood in the rain and damp

If the new fuel pump relay won't fix it might it be the cam postion sensor as this triggers the fuel pump relay

Hi i had a faulty cam position sensor recently and it gave me the same fault.

Fuel pump reply should be here tomorrow so go from there.. Also a mate said if the cam sensor has gone pump should still prime

Well fitted new relay tonight and still no joy but on first turn of key I now can here the fuel pump prime but when I try start it I can't here the pump so I'm now thinking it's the cam postion senser as then there fault they cut the fuel pump

Opened up my ecu box tonight to check for water and its bone dry so resealed with a smear of grease around the seal to help keep the water out . Getting a auto sparky to help sort it out

It's got to be crank or cam
Sensor getting it scanned in Tuesday so find out then I'm hoping it's the cam senser cos there easier to swop

I was just going to say don't just replace anything willy nilly as your be chasing dead ends. It needs the fault codes reading to find out what is actually wrong

Got car checked out today and it's pointing to the 219 relay in the ecu box so got a new one coming tomorrow and go from there

Just had a call from audi to let me no the wrong part has turned up .. THANK YOU AUDI ..

Reactions: THQuattro
Got the relay today so soon as I got home I fitted it only to find my battery is all most dead from trying to start it the other day

Got battery on charge over night so tomorrow I've got a fully charged battery to try start it as its gonna take a lot of cranking

Well still no joy with my car it's got me beat so it's off to the garage we go

crank sensor still, they don't always throw a code. You should see an RPM signal from it when cranking and logging on vcds, i'd bet you don't have one.

Unless of course you have a fuse gone or something silly

Well turns out it was the crank sensor so all
Minded now

Reactions: Broken Byzan