Car unlocks itself and rolls down windows.. gremlins are back

loodak

Reaction score
Hi all.. for some time my gremlins have gone away.. but the last 2 weeks its starting to act naughty again.
I came one morning and the car was fully unlocked and all the windows down.. i thought maybe i put the key in too snugly in my bag so it did it..
then it happened again tomorrow..
then nothing for 7-8 days..
today i came out of the car.. locked it as always.. withing 3-4 seconds it unlocked and rolled windows down..
if i try to raise them by the remote it wont work.. it will lock the car.. and it will roll them down if i hold the unlock button... it also wont roll them up if i turn the key in the lock from the outside.. it used to be able to..
then i got in, key in ignition, rolled all 4 up, opened and closed all doors, clicked all windows buttons to make sure one wasnt stuck.. got out.. and the ******* did it again..
i got in the car.. drove it 50m to infront of my house.. got out, locked and its sitting in front of my window waiting for me to go to sleep.
as it's an old car and not of much worth.. i'm not worried it will get stolen (it didnt by now).. i'm more worried that it will rain one night and #%#@$@^ things up royally..
the car is an A6 C5 facelift.. sedan if it makes a difference. LHD
haven't found anyone with same issues.. checked the carpets, bone dry.. tried my second key.. same deal.
i'll see a mechanic later this week, but just wanna check if it may be something silly i'm overseeing or can try myself until i get my paycheck :)

cheers!

My a4 avant did this the other week, turns out one of the wires running to the drivers door had broken inside the rubber boot. Repaired it and nothing has happened since. Might be worth checking

hm.. that could be an issue.. i think i don't have the "boot" on the drivers side.. and the wires are heatshrunk.. i'll check it tomorrow, cheers mate!
btw how does one put those things on? can you "wrap" them around wires or ..door off, wires off, trough the rubber boot, then wires on, door on etc..

I just soldered them together and taped them up, 2 had already been repaired by a previous owner as well

Either knackered wires as said or moisture in your drivers door lock mech.

A little update
I had time to play with it for a bit today.. came up, was open..
checked the floor mats again, all dry.. there wasnt any rain in days here, so i'm guessing i can rule out water in stuff as well..
tried spraying wd in the locks, no dice
tried unhooking the battery to reset itself, no dice
could it be the key cylinder? i noticed something that points me in that direction give my past experience with gremlins on other cars

i sat in the car.. rolled up the windows, removed the key and pressed lock.. withing a few seconds it first unlocked itself, then rolled down the windows.. with the key in my hand i clicked the windows up button on the drivers side and it worked!? .. then it "clicked" again and the power went away.. then clicked again and rolled the windows down.. i checked and the same applies to all the door buttons, when it goes in whacko mode i can use them without the key in ignition.

since it refused to properly lock itself even after 45 mins of locking,unlocking etc.. i pulled the battery terminal and will check more in-depth on thursday, cant before. my mechanic said he's booked until monday, so might as well try something myself.

so imo it could be the door lock, the key lock or the remote module gone bananas.. i don't know of any other way to send it power without the key in ignition beforehand.. i've heard they have a feature in case of an accident where it unlocks/winds down.. is that part of the convenience module or located otherwise?

cheers :)

oh yeah.. is there a fuse i could pull to disable windows completly.. its easier than pulling the battery , esp when raining :)

My money is deffo on the door lock mech. There are switches inside that get wet. Take it apart, warm it up and reseal it.

As for the windows. I'm not sure.

Before you start anything take up pass footwell carpet and physically check convenience ecu for water. I'd put money on it!!!

almost certainly too simple but do check that the rubber part of your key fob (with the unlock symbol on it) is not sticking down after you press the button that way imitating you pressing the unlock button and holding it down. It is normal for the car to open its windows if that button is held down for a few seconds.

i'll dig out the convenience module tomorrow.. someone on another forum told me to try locking it with the key in the lock.. and so far it hasen't gone bananas.. so for now i'm opening and closing it with the trunk lock , since it pops all the doors :)

My money is deffo on the door lock mech. There are switches inside that get wet. Take it apart, warm it up and reseal it.

As for the windows. I'm not sure.
and we have a winner. Finally got around visiting my mechanic
door lock switches get stuck and it thinks there is a key inside trying to open the door. said i should try to actually use and abuse it for some time, they might get unstuck on their own.. otherwise 200e for new lock, ~100e for used one.. how are the prices over there? i might order one if less expensive.

and we have a winner. Finally got around visiting my mechanic
door lock switches get stuck and it thinks there is a key inside trying to open the door. said i should try to actually use and abuse it for some time, they might get unstuck on their own.. otherwise 200e for new lock, ~100e for used one.. how are the prices over there? i might order one if less expensive.

Yeah baby!!

of course, but unless it unbugs itself quite briefly and stays that way, i'll never be sure if it will happen again in a month or two or a year.. if the part i linked is the correct one, thats ~50euros plus maybe 30e for labor, 80e for peace of mind is cheap in my book

Well I stripped mine down, warmed it up with a hair drier and it's been fine.