1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

car symbol with key underneath keeps flashing

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by TDI, Aug 30, 2007.

1. TDI

TDI Member

[Aug 30, 2007]
    car starts but cuts out in seconds, the car symbol with key underneath keeps flashing after it cuts out. looked at the manual and it states this is the immobiliser icon, but the doors open with the remote and car starts, i thought that if it was the immobiliser it wouldn't allow for the car to start at all. am i looking at something thats going to be expensive to fix? anyone had this happen to them?

Cheers,
    K
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 2, 2014]

3. sprout99

sprout99 Member

[Aug 30, 2007]
    it will start and run with whatever fuel is in line but won't allow anymore

you need to get key / ecu checked at stealer
  4. spuddie007

spuddie007 Thomas the Tank Engine - Choo, Choo!

[Aug 30, 2007]
    Had this when my ECU failed mate, car would recognise the keys to unlock and start the engine, but the immobiliser doesn't recognise the key and then cuts the engine out.

Could be your ECU or your keys themselves. Have you tried starting with the master key (the thick black key with red icons on it?)??
  5. S3_MCD

S3_MCD Member

[Aug 30, 2007]
    I would guess at the imobiliser?
  6. TDI

TDI Member

[Aug 30, 2007]

I started the car with the master (black key) what does this mean the key needs replacing? i had the key programmed a year ago as the car doors wouldn't open and the other remote is broken snapped in half.

cheers Spuddie007
  7. rodenal

rodenal Active Member

[Aug 30, 2007]
    Give the bottom of your steering cowling a bang when the key's out - put it back in you'll prob find the icon is jus tsolid and you can start and run the car.

Happens alot with these cars can be the wiring, the key, or the immobiliser itself.
  8. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Aug 30, 2007]
    Move the steering column up and down, this usually works as the wiring from the reader coil can get interference from other wires close by.
  9. spuddie007

spuddie007 Thomas the Tank Engine - Choo, Choo!

[Aug 31, 2007]
    Or get your keys checked by the stealers???

If it starts with the master key, then I would say your keys have somehow 'lost' their coding and are nor not recognised by the ecu/immobiliser. I paid £170 for the privelage but that's a long story I'm going to start again.

Glad I could help, god knows I've learnt a lot on here and shall still visit even when the S3 goes next month :(