car suggestions

jcb

Reaction score
Hi, I am here for some advice.
I have an A4 avant quattro and a Golf Gti that in on lease and goes back this month.
I struggle to get all three kids and bikes and the usual crapola in the A4 and have been looking at second hand A6 avants.
the newer style ones around 05-07 in year.
I didnt really like the idea of the 3l diesel as it appears a bit thirsty for a daily driver for the missus.
quattro is essential

questions:

what is the 2.7l like in comparison to the 3.0l?
are there any things I should be looking out for on the age of A6 avant that I am considering?
They seem pretty reasonable at £8-12k for 06/07 80-100k milers in good condition

who has one and do you like it?

thanks

get the 3.0TDI...its great and not much difference..the engine pulls like a train! to get a nice 3.0TDI quattro it will be the top of your budget but worth it!

3.0 all day long, old man has had 2 of them, great car. Would also add if you like the Audi nav them make sure you get a car with mmi high as the low version you cannot retrofit nav so have to rip the hole lot out and fit mmi high. Another option you should look at is the 3.0TDi A8 would easy fit three people in the back and the boot is massive.

3.0TDI is a beast and I've seldom heard a bad word said against it aside from the odd person who's been unpleasantly surprised with the higher road-tax rates. Some are 189g/km and some are 229g/km!

If you're after economy, but still want a punchy, smooth engine: the 2.7TDI was created as a smooth V6 TDI that fitted into a lower emissions band (and lower road tax since you're likely to end up with something after Jan 2006).

Even the 2.0TDI is quick enough for most use, especially if you can get the 170PS version, it's lighter than the V6 TDI's and returns 40mpg if you thrash it, 45mpg reasonably easilly and apparently nearly 50mpg if you drive it very gently (based on a C6, 2011 170TDI multitronic saloon), the 140TDI isn't as efficient though: 35-40mpg avg based on a 2007 multitronic saloon, mixed, mostly fairly gentle driving.

One thing to bear in mind for those - but this will NOT affect you if you are going for a quattro: if you go for a multitronic, to make sure that the car has the later spec 7-plate clutch conversion. All 2.7TDI's should have been converted as part of an Audi recall, but the 2.0TDI's weren't recalled and I don't think the factory-fitted 7-plate clutches were standard until after mid-2007.

I'm in a similar position to you (except starting from an A4 Saloon)... and my next car will probably be the 2.7TDI quattro avant tiptronic, preferably in one of the LeMans/S-Line specs... I will be very easilly persuaded on the 3.0TDI if I can find one of those for a good price and provided I could get one of the low-emissions specc'd one so I don't get spanked for £400+ per year on the road tax!

My ideal spec would probably be for an A5 sportback (as it looks a bit sleeker and has the same size boot as the A6 avant!), but they don't do the 2.7TDI in quattro or and the 2.0TDI quattro is in manual only. I'm fine with a manual in my 2.5TDI, it has such a huge power band, I really don't mind... but based on my fairly limited (a few days with a courtesy car) experience with a manual 170 2.0TDI, it's lighter and reasonably nippy, but definitely a bit more work with the narrower power band.... and I'm getting old and lazy, so would probably prefer the tiptronic and the best offerings on the 2nd hand market are all A6, rather than the much newer A5's sportbacks.

thanks for the help.
will let you know how I get on