1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

car starting problems

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by steve bain, Nov 20, 2012.

1. steve bain

steve bain Member

Hello all. I have a AGU 1.8T poweres T-reg A3. Problem is the thing won't start. Heres a list of what has happened:

Car seemed to struggle to start. very slow turning starter. fired on 3rd or 4th turn until one day it didn't. RAC jump packed it and it was fine for a few weeks. At this time i found a drain on the battery which is now rectified and swapped the battery for a good spare I had.

few weeks pass. Car started struggling to start again. got worse and eventually had to be jumper packed again. All was then fine for over a month.

other day. Same again it started to stuggle to start and eventually wouldn't. Jump started it and it was back to normal again. Alternator is changing at 14.5V. 0.03A (from memory) drain on battery. I decided it was a duff battery so got another (pre cherished but fully tested)

worked for a day and died again so took things to bits. One blade fuse on top of the battery nearest the positive had blown so i replaced that. (i understand this is common and is to do with the fans?) I then cleaned all terminals from alternator, starter, chassis mount and battery. I also removed the starter and greased the shaft. oh er. Yay, it works again...for a week.

Today I started it and drove for 10 miles. stopped it and turned the key. dash lights come on, 'click' sound from engine and dash lights all go black and stereo has reset itself. tried to jump start it. No differnce. Hit starter with hammer and tried rocking in gear. no difference. Bump started it and it was fine. drove perfectly.

Parked it up...on a hill :) and turned the key and just as before.

My gut feeling is the starter has had it. I have a spare so will swap it tonight, but any ideas? if battery is charging, there is no drain and all termainals are cleaned and copper eased then there is not much else left. oil level is good and engine turns fine.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Steve
  2. steve bain

steve bain Member

3. Welly

Welly VX220 SC Driver :)

Yeah, lets be fair, all things pointing to the starter. Might be worth checking the main starter power feed from the battery at the connection with the starter motor - may be corroded, but I doubt it.
  4. steve bain

steve bain Member

cool. I've cleaned up that cable already and it looks pretty good. I have starter under my desk at work...like ya do...so i'll swap it over tonight. The missus is going to love me. Haven't seen her for 4 days! ho hum.
  5. steve bain

steve bain Member

right. I've swapped the starter and left the battery charging while i did it. took 40 minutes or so. jumped in the car and it started perfectly.

got in this morning. dead. no click or anything. So I jump started it and drove it to work where I parked it on a suitable hill to bump start it to get home! turned the key just to test it, nothing! even after 40 mins driving.

So, what the hell can it be? I am now thinking alternator is intermitent. it read ok when i tested it, but maybe once driving it stops working so isn't charging. after 40 min driving the battery really should charge shouldn't it?
  6. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

Why dont you Just get a NEW battery mate,,,, look at all the hassle you are having???
  7. steve bain

steve bain Member

i've tested 3 precherished batteries now. Surely they can't all be duff? a new battery will just go flat the same way as an old one does if the car has a fault. I might bite the bullet and take it to the garage...hmmm.