Car stalled in traffic jam

THQuattro

VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Guys my car stalled today when i was in a traffic jam, i had been sitting for about 30 mins ticking over nicely at 1k and then it started getting erratic going up and down and then stalling. I did manage to drive to a lay-by which made it tick over better and then drove off on a 200 mile journey ok. After looking around on this forum I'm seeing this prob come up and showing a prob with the MAF sensor do you all think its this.
Thanks in advance.

Hi I spoke to Audi this morning and they told me my car does not have a Maf sensor.
Any ideas.

Which to me says that someone has removed it. Maf sensor detects how much airflow is going to the engine, then the ecu works out how much fuel to inject. No maf means rough idle and potential rich or lean running. Both of which can be catastrophic. I'd get it fixed ASAP and don't drive it in the meantime.

Wait. What? Map sensor or Maf sensor? Ones Mass AirFlow and the other is Manifold Absolute Pressure (iirc) completely different jobs. Or was that a typo? Either way I can't stress enough, you need to get this fixed ASAP.

It was the MAP sensor that I changed after the throttle body. Was covered in oily crap from the K&N filter I had before swapping to a piperx

Hi sorry guys i spoke to Audi Tonbridge parts dept to get a price for a Maf sensor and he told me my model did not have one but he did not tell me what it had. So does my car have a Map sensor then.

MAP sensor, replaced mine last year about £55 from TPS. Have you checked the airfilter isn't clogged up. Some also have a small filter in the intake pipe before the filter box.
Also next time you speak to Audi ask if the car has had the coil pack recall done (unless you know it has). Had mine done and they replaced all 6 free of charge.

Before you go spending on new sensors etc... See if someone can check the car over with vagcom for you

Hiya thanks for the reply I've just ordered a MAP Sensor bcos it only seems to happen in slow traffic for about 30 to 60 mins,I've had two diagnostic checks done with no faults. It did it again the other day when i was trying to get out of london just as i was approaching the Blackwall tunnel, i had stopped to get a sarnie and when i started her up it did it again and would not drive smoothly so after switching off/on 3 times it drove ok but as i approached the tunnel it started but luckily i got through tunnel by mostly rolling and then driving slowly until traffic moved faster it was all ok, i can start to smell the engine when it starts but not sure if that means anything, i will fit sensor and hope that sorts it.

Hi guys i have ordered my new Map sensor and this other filter part thats missing from inside my air box but I'm struggling to find a decent manual that will show me where it goes or can you guys advise me where it is.

Pop the back engine cover off. (Just pulls up) Then then you should be able to see the MAP sensor and it's just a case of unbolt and swap. It's located just after the throttle body. Believe me if I can manage it ANYONE can. As for the small filter part. Mine hasn't got one but assume it's just clips in the pipe before the airbox. Sorry for bad description but hope you get the gist. Hopefully it sorts the issue.

Did you have a proper Audi diagnostics/ vagcom? When I had an issue with mine only vagcom and main dealer diagnostics picked up issues. My mates snap-on picked nothing up strangely

Any luck on coil packs?

Last edited:
Hi thanks for the reply I should be able to manage that. I had a Black Code remap done which has improved my MPG and he did a diagnostic and my local garage did one both with no codes. I will fit the Map sensor to see if that stops the stalling issue, I do have a recall to get done and then see how it is after that. Thanks again.

Hi Mate yes just the coil pack. I got the S4 kids taxi and mine remapped for £450 which i thought was good value.

Hi i want to see your car can you attach photos. Im fitting my sensor today.

Hi Barry just seen your car, very nice i wanted a avant but couldn't find one cheap enough, nice brakes.

Yeah, there was only two manual avants around when I got it. Had to travel to Harrogate to get it as well. Was the biggest engine I could get around the wife lol

Yeah, there was only two manual avants around when I got it. Had to travel to Harrogate to get it as well. Was the biggest engine I could get around the wife lol

Hi i fitted the MAP sensor (very easy) yesterday so fingers crossed no more stalling.
Thanks for all advise.

Hi Guys its done it again i fitted the MAP sensor thinking that was it but i was sitting at the Black wall tunnel in slow traffic for approx 40 mins and just as i was approaching tunnel entrance i could smell the engine and then the revs started to fluctuate and it stalled.it started back up but i had to drive with high revs to get through the tunnel and when traffic was at 30 40 it all seemed ok. I'm wondering if the fan is not cutting in bcos of the engine smell. Any other ideas please.

Sorry to hear that.
Try and find someone on here locally that's got vagcom.
Get it up to temp and leave it idling and run diagnostics. Most components can be checked. I drove mine around in July for a couple of weeks with no fan as the aux belt jammed it up and it didn't stall (got hot a couple of times). Although I wasn't sitting in traffic. Unless the thermostat or temp sensor is playing up and it's hotter than it's saying.

Is it just dying or when you go to pull away again? Does the engine light come on?

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2835698

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/...tall-ONLY-when-pulling-away-in-1st-gear/page2

Last edited:
Hi Mate its just fluctuating and then dying, I've got the recall on thursday so i might ask them to run it and see what they think but just don't want to pay Audi price.

Hi mate no not yet I'm waiting for the MOT next month and i will get it looked at then.Thanks.