Car shopping..

MurdochA3

Reaction score
On my way out to view a few 2.0T A3's. One is a Sline Special edition in black with Quattro, 06 plate and 50k Miles. The other, a sport in arctic white with DSG, 08 plate and 35k Miles.

Would any of the lads with experience of these Engines and Specifics mind giving me a quick idea of any common problems or anything in particular i should be looking at taking mileage and age into account.

Thanks.
tom.

06 plate should have had a timing belt done by now so remember to ask if it has. It's overdue on time (5yrs/60,000 is my rule of thumb).

Fuel pump cam followers can wear. Though you can only really tell by removing them.

The TFSI engine sounds like a bag of nails at idle.

Early diverter valves are known to split the diaphragm but again can only really tell for sure by removing it. They can feel flat or down on power when they are badly split.

Then you just got to listen out for any abnormal noises when test driving it. Whining/groaning/vibrations etc.

Scanning the car with VCDS is a good shout to see if there's any underlying problems, if you have access or know someone who has access to it.

06 plate should have had a timing belt done by now so remember to ask if it has. It's overdue on time (5yrs/60,000 is my rule of thumb).

Fuel pump cam followers can wear. Though you can only really tell by removing them.

The TFSI engine sounds like a bag of nails at idle.

Early diverter valves are known to split the diaphragm but again can only really tell for sure by removing it. They can feel flat or down on power when they are badly split.

Then you just got to listen out for any abnormal noises when test driving it. Whining/groaning/vibrations etc.

Thanks for the help, unfortunately the white car had already sold, the black SLine Seems to be a good car but i didnt get chance to test drive as it was in for repairs. Cambelt was changed at 30'000 miles at 5 years of age. car now has 50'000 and is 7 years. So all seems sweet to me, full service history carried out at Newcastle Audi. going to call today to arrange test drive.

people always think my 2.0Tfsi is a diesel at idle, its LOUD. embarrassing...

JJ