Car Parking at Cardiff Millenium Stadium

benw123

Reaction score
Sunday week I'm going to the Carling Cup Final in Cardiff. Although I've been to Cardiff before I'm trying to find information on the web as to what car parking is available and where is best to park.

On the Millenium Stadium website, they said that Park & Ride schemes are running for both sets of fans from Junction 29 and 33 which sounds pretty good, but I'm wondering if there's anywhere better to park for a quick getaway.

Has anyone here been to a major event at the Millenium Stadium and used the park and ride, or are there any better sites? I'm just wary of the fact that most of the fans will all be heading home in the same direction (i.e. eastbound on the M4!) and want to avoid it all as much as possible.

I've been to a couple of play-off finals at the Millennium Stadium.

Take it from me, you are MUCH better off using the Park & Ride. In any event, the police tend to close the roads around the stadium due to the crowds, so you wouldn't gain anything by trying to park nearby.

You will be directed to the appropriate Park & Ride for the team you support - all you have to do is follow the signs on the main road into Cardiff. It is all very well organised.

If you do drive, just accept that you are stuffed whatever you try to do as everyone will be going the same way home, so find a pub after the game for a couple of hours to celebrate/drown your sorrows.

Excellent advice Spook! TBH I had started to think that the Park and Ride would probably be more secure for my Sportback as well, assuming that it's a temporary site well out of town. Also, if there's buses to transport the fans back to the car parks, it would probably steady the flow of traffic away on to the M4.

I live in Herts and am thinking about taking the A41 to Bicester, then the A34 south to Oxford and then using the A40 to Gloucester. Then either the M5 or maybe further west to Ross-On-Wye to take the A449 - the more of the M4 I can avoid, the better I reckon.

HI,,,, I been to Cardiff a few times .... Def best on the park and ride system.... easy to park and plenty of buses there and back all the time....

have fun.......:rockwoot:

Thanks Clive! Just realised I meant to post this in the General forum. Can any moderators move it for me???

The A449 down from Monmouth down to the M4 is better than going M5/M4, as you'll save yourself £5.10 for the Severn bridge, and it should be quicker. I'd use the Park&Rides though, parking in Cardiff and Cardiff traffic is bad on non-match days, and definately best avoided when something is on in the stadium. If you really wanted to avoid the traffic and the Park&Ride's, I'd get a train from Caerphilly train station (free parking) down to Cardiff (costs about £4 return I think). But to be honest, I'd be using the Park&Ride facilities.

Great stuff, thanks again guys. Park and Ride it is. Just more thing though - can anyone remember how much the Park and Ride cost?

i have been 3 times and used a wee industrial estate 5-10 mins walk away. its great to get in and out with any jams. im afraid i cant remember what its called though

As a relative local, if your set on the park and ride thats fine.

There is a multi about 10 mins walk away I would consider it's on Knox road (I know thats next to the prison when u streetmap it). It is rated amongst the safest in the capital and i've never failed to get in there.

RedSportback said:
As a relative local, if your set on the park and ride thats fine.

There is a multi about 10 mins walk away I would consider it's on Knox road (I know thats next to the prison when u streetmap it). It is rated amongst the safest in the capital and i've never failed to get in there.
To be fair, thats the same car park I use when I drive in to the city centre. Never had any problems there, and its close to the town.

:footy: :beerchug: Hi all,

I live in cardiff and would recommend the park and ride.
The city will be, at best, chaos with all the extra traffic but the police always go to great lengths to keep routes used by the park and ride lot as clear as possible. Actually barring any unusual crashes etc the traffic can flow quite smoothly. Only on 1 or 2 occasions have i seen very bad problems but that was caused with serious bad weather and some drivers inability to cope with driving in heavy rain. You also have no hassle with park and ride, directions are very clear and simple to follow. No panic about leaving your car in an area where there might be a higher risk of it getting broken into or stolen etc.
Alternatively...stay overnight in a hotel and enjoy a decent night out. Its not as big as some other major cities but does have a decent nightllife and you dont see much trouble etc either.....