car not starting

a3guy

Reaction score
drove through a massive puddle tonight , and about a mile from home the engine stalls and the glow plug light flashes.

manage to start it up again and manage to get back , but vagcom throws up this error .

Control Module Part Number: 03G 906 016 DT

Component and/or Version: R4 2,0L EDC G000AG 5878

Software Coding: 0000078

Work Shop Code: WSC 06314

1 Fault Found:

16706 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28): No Signal

P0322 - 000 - -

i assume it has got wet and is not working correctly , does anyone know where it is located and can it be cleaned etc ?

If you say the globe plug light came on, Id start by changing the globe plugs.

it is possible that the car started last night as the car was warm and as the cars cold now, it will be harder to start. The globe plugs might not get as hot as they should to ignite the fuel.

They're not that expensive and i've been told they're not too hard to do.

Thats what i would do (but i may be wrong!)

I've uploaded some images for you -

Item 10 is the location of the G28 Hall Sender -

20TDI.jpg

Item 1 is the Hall Sender -

G28.jpg

Probably worth taking the plug off and drying it out. I wouldn't think the water would ruin the sensor.

the g28 sensor has been replaced and the fault is still there , anyone got any ideas ?

Do you still have the fault code? I've had a look at some CFD's and it seems to me that the G28 power is derived from the ECU. There is a ground which might be worth checking.

just to update this, have been advised the fault could be with the phonic wheel not sending the pulse to the ecu.

anyone know of any competative audi technicans i can get the car towed to ?

based in surrey

not looking forward to the bill with this just before christmas

I think the G28 is what's being reffered to as the Phonic wheel.

thats strange because the guy said the gearbox needed to come out to check the phonic wheel ?

I have some TDi publications here and the engine speed sensor is the G28 which is indicated in the pictures above and you say has been changed.

Phonic wheels are used to determine speed and position which is exactly what the G28 does although in the case of the G28 it's a Hall Sender.

The only reason I could see to remove the gearbox is to check the condition of the sender wheel.

EngineSpeedSenderG28.jpg

I have some TDi publications here and the engine speed sensor is the G28 which is indicated in the pictures above and you say has been changed.

Phonic wheels are used to determine speed and position which is exactly what the G28 does although in the case of the G28 it's a Hall Sender.

The only reason I could see to remove the gearbox is to check the condition of the sender wheel.

EngineSpeedSenderG28.jpg

ah right , so i think he means the hall sender the actual wheel then

As you can see from the diagram the wheel is a solid part without any connections etc. Pretty much just magnetic so difficult to see how it would fail but may be dirty.

When you changed the G28 would there be enough room to get something such as a small cloth or cotton bud or similar in? If so, and so save removing the box, if it is just dirty I would suggest getting someone to help you roll the car in gear whilst trying to clean the wheel.

Doh - Just notice you have DSG. A little painfull but maybe you could clean some of it by starting and then stopping the engine hoping it stops in different places.

Next up from that I'd want to be line checking the wires up to the ECU. Are you sure the plug is clean and dry?

i should of been clearer first , i have had a audi technician looking at the car.

the g28 was replaced and it made no difference, he has tested the wires i believe and had found that there is no pulse on the signal wire.

seems christams came a bit late this year , turned the car over this morning and it started first time.
Thought it may have been a fluke but did the same for 4 more tries and it runs fine now, did a 10 mile run just to get the engine upto 90c and it is perfect, very strange.

something else must of got wet that has dried out.