Car not starting, help please?

marshadee

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've got an issue with my car, now I've never had this issue before so just wanted some advice before I go to the dealership.

I haven’t drove my car for about 2 weeks and yesterday when I started it all was good. Then I got to the petrol garage to get some petrol. When i got back into the car my friend was listening to the radio and when I tried to start the car, nothing happened. So I presume I have a flat battery, I mean I can hear the connection, but not the normally turning over of the car sound. The only way I can describe the noise was like an electrical noise. So in the end I had to bump start the car which wasn't easy for my friend lol, good job the garage forecourt was on a slight hill (my car is a S5, 58 plate, manual V8).

So I drove the car for around 30 minutes up and down the motorway and finally stopped at the shops thinking the battery would be ok now. Well I was wrong, car wouldn’t start again, same issue as before. This time it wasn’t so easy to bump start. Anyway in the end I managed to start the car and drove it home and parked her up on my drive. I thought I’d try again once I’d turned the car off to see if it would start. To my surprise it did. Then I turned her off again and tried once more, this time it didn’t start.

As I said earlier, I’ve never had this issue before, ever. Do you think due to this cold weather my battery is just knackered? I mean it could be the first battery the car has ever had.

Would appreciate your feedback guys.

Thanks in advance

Stick the battery on a ctek charger & finish the 8 step cycle, then it should be ok, unless the battery is faulty, try this 1st, if battery is faulty, get a new one & make sure you charge fully with ctek 1st or when home & then use it, as batteries new are not always optimally charged.

Thanks for your prompt reply NHN. Are the batteries genuinely good then, so a recharge should solve my issue?

Other than Ebay, where can I get one of these charges from (I’m from London)?

Also, I had a quick look under the bonnet yesterday but couldn’t see the battery, where about is it?

Battery is in the boot under the spare wheel.

Do you have a multimeter? It sounds like you alternator is ok but this is a quick way to check your charging ok too.
Select the 20 DCV scale and connect it to the battery terminals.
A healthy battery should show around 12.6 volts and when you're running it should show 14 -14.8 volts. this should stay steady or increase slightly as you load it with Stereo, heaters, lights etc.
If that shows Ok then it sounds like just a battery and next step is either test and recover it like NHN's post or a replacement.

Unfortunately I dont have a multimeter, but I may have a friend who does, so Ill go down that route first. thanks for your input Cav1, very helpful.

NHN - having looked at that link, from the audi option it only states S3 S4 S6 and S8 but no S5, is the S4 battery the same then?

yeah should be the same.
UK battery code is either
017 - 353mm L x 175mm W x 190mm H around 800cca (cranking amps) 95 amp
019 or 020 (a heavy duty 017 basically) which should be around 850cca 110 amp

one other questtoon, if the battery does need replacing, is it just a straight swap of old with new or does it require more technical stuff to allow all the MMI and stuck to still work?

thanks mate, seems I'm better off buying a ctek first and charge it, that way i dont have to mess around with taking it out and having the possibility of the MMI system not working.