Car just died this morning.......

markyp2002

Reaction score
Well, basically ive noticed the S3 running about slower than normal over the past week or so and today driving to work it seemed no different to the past few days.

However, pulled up into a parking space (a left turn) and the car just conked out, with a flashing warning light with an oil lantern in the middle of the DIS. Tried to restart it but to no avail.

Im going to the engine cool for an hour or so before going to check the obvious things over, but for some reason my boost gauge isnt working properly either, it says that on tick over im getting 0 vacuum :(

Any ideas?

Low oil? When was the last time you checked the oil?

Or is it an electrical fault...Most commonly coil packs etc?

Checked it about an hour ago and the car fired up, no warning lamps on.

Checked the oil and its a bit low but i wouldnt have thought low enough to cause it to conk out, nonetheless ill top it up and see how it goes.

But, the car does seem to be using a lot of oil, i topped up about 1.5 litres around 2 months ago. Guess ill get it checked out at Midland VW!

what was the warning light...engine one ?

Not, it was an oil light, but it was a big red warning light in the center of the DIS.

Ive dropped 2litres of oil and hopefully that will cure it. Ill check the oil level again in about an hour!

That normally indicates the oil is low, but as already mentioned, that shouldnt have caused the car to knock out!!

Just keep an eye on it or see if you can vagcom it to see if it ings up any faults.

Hum not sounding good it normally only takes 1Ltr to get from Min to max but i would have thought the yellow oil light would have come up a long time before it would do any damage. Just pray its not low oil preasure

Well putting 2 litres has gone over the maximum, what a numpty!

Will this cause any major problems? Im servicing it on tuesday/wednesday of next week so ill be draining it out anyway! It wont be used over the weekend, probably only monday - wednesday at the most 22mile round trip to work and back?!

It can cause a problem with the Cat i believe, if in doubt drain it...

Anyone shed some 100% certain light on this? Ive got to use the car tomorrow, and being away all weekend havent had the opportunity to do the work needed to it, first opportunity im going to get is wednesday/thursday evening. Will it be ok just to do the 22 mile round trip to work and back over the next few days, as long as i tootle along at speed limits?!

I believe you will be ok mate, but dont quote me on it...sorry cant help anymore.