1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car Insurance

Discussion in 'Rants & Raves' started by AlexGSi2000, May 24, 2013.

1. AlexGSi2000

AlexGSi2000 Well-Known Member
    VCDS Map User

Feb 14, 2012
    Yet another car insurance rant - I seem to have been plagued since the day I passed my test.

The scenario;
    Looking into purchasing a "cheap" Corsa diesel to use for a few months whilst I carry out some work to my current A4 B6.
    Found a Corsa locally that needs a clutch, 10months MOT & 3 months tax, needs minimal work and fits the bill for £300.

Called my current insurers who quoted me £890! and stated I couldnt use my no claims bonus as I was already using them on an existing policy with them - I politely told them I was already paying them £2100 and would not take the new policy.

To put into perspective, im 25, 6 years NCB, no accidents or claims. Granted I do live in Liverpool but one of the lower risk areas.

That £2100 was my cheapest quote for the A4 by the way!

I just seem to have had no luck in regards to insurance, its as if a big red light flashes when I state my name.

I inquired into day insurance to get the Corsa 10 miles to my house, cheapest quote was £70 - all other insurers saying they were unable to quote! Madness.

In summary my insurance history has been;
    1. 17-18 Years old - Fiesta LX 1.25 = £2000
    2. 18-19 Years old - Fiesta Zetec 1.25 = £1600
    3. 19-21 Years old - Fiesta Zetec S 1.6 = £1800
    4. 21-22 Years old - Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.8T = £1900
    5. 23-24 Years old - Vectra SRi 1.9CDTi = £1700
    6. 24-25 Years old - Audi A4 2.5TDi = £2100

So in the space of 7 years I have paid over £10k for insurance - all to the same company, and they cant give me a quote on a 1998 diesel Corsa. Shocking.
  2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost!
    Staff Member Moderator Team Daytona quattro Audi S3 Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

Sep 4, 2003
    Madness! I've never paid over a grand for insurance, ever! Though my combined insurance for 4 cars is around £1300. My S3 when I was 24 was 700, and it's slowly dropped each year to £399 last renewal over ten years.
  4. MartayMcFly

MartayMcFly Booooooost
    Regional Rep VCDS Map User Gold Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Doesn't seem very likely that those are all the lowest possible price - why stay with an insurer that's not giving you a good deal? My RS4 was only £580 with 3 years NCB and I was 26 when the policy renewed. I know Aberdeen is meant to be the top level for insurance, but that can't be the only factor. Any points on your licence? A lot of recent car thefts in your postcode?