1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car insurance on 2 different cars

Discussion in 'Insurance - Sponsored by Sky Insurance' started by Andy Crooks, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Andy Crooks

Andy Crooks Member

My a3 1.2tfsi s-line 61 reg is insured with Hastings direct, my wife gets her new car mini countryman one 1.6 petrol 61 reg will be car changed from her peugeot also insured with Hastings direct

im 22 she's 27 end of May
    i have 2 years no claims she has 5 in may

But what I want to know is why is my insurance just under £500 a year on the a3 and on her to be mini the same when the audi is faster, more on insurance group and a more expensive car in general

both had a car crash both no convictions and both insured on each other's car

do I make sense lol?
  2. ChrisKnottIns

ChrisKnottIns Member Site Sponsor

It'll probably come down to claims stats on the mini model.

No hard-sell but if you'd like someone to have a look to make sure you're getting the best deal on each of them when they come up for renewal (or you want multi-car) I'd be happy to help.
  3. Andy Crooks

Andy Crooks Member

Thanks Chris, she gets the mini march 1st but our insurance is due 22nd June, our policy now is multicar
  4. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

Andy, it always seems the case when you swop cars mid term through your insurance that you kind of lose the new policy discount/incentive. Let's face it, if you cancel the policy mid term, you get a reduced amount back, minus admin fee, and you lose that years NCB, as you never completed the 12 months. Plus your current insurer may not favour the new car you are purchasing, so many factors to take into consideration. The only time the buyer has power when buying car insurance is new policy time, where the insurance companies make an effort to get your business.

That's my take on it anyways.... saying that, I think you have done well being 22 and paying 'just under £500' for an A3 of any model, infact, that's a cracking insurance price!! :thumbsup:
  5. Andy Crooks

Andy Crooks Member

Your proberbly right there jojo, bare in mind I am married too which does reduce insurance slightly and it's a 1.2
  6. Tim@Prestige

Tim@Prestige Member

Personally, I feel there is no logic to this! As Chris mentioned above, I recommend you ring around at renewal ;)
  7. Mikemc

Mikemc Member

must just be me! 23. 5 years no claims, 1200 quid on an a3 2.0tdi sportback
  8. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

Jesus! I just got my Toyota Rav4 insured for £265 F/C with 4yrs NCB! And my S3 is £400odd with all mods declared with max NCB.