1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car detailing with hose pipe ban

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by TripleD, Mar 13, 2012.

1. TripleD

TripleD Audi Novice

[Mar 13, 2012]
    So I have to ask the question, with the hose pipe ban looming in the 5th April, how are you meant to keep your car clean?

Ironic how I've just received my annual water bill, that's gone up in price shortly followed by an announcement that you are restricted on what water you can use!
    Danman1 likes this.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 23, 2014]

3. scotty76

scotty76 Well-Known Member

[Mar 13, 2012]
    You can still use a bucket and watering can. Also have a Google for "optimum no rinse".
  4. fingermouse

fingermouse thats me

[Mar 13, 2012]
    Don`t think we will get a hosepipe ban here :)
  5. slepy

slepy Extremely smart and handsome person. VCDS Map User

[Mar 13, 2012]
    It is only for private households so I can use it at my sisters industrial unit?
  6. Farhan

Farhan Active Member

[Mar 13, 2012]
    yer erm...what we going to do
  7. moag

moag she's no d-turbo

[Mar 13, 2012]
    Thank feck we never get hosepipe bans over here. Surely you know someone who would let you make use of their hose "discreetly"?!
    nally likes this.
  8. nally

nally MPG the new BPH

[Mar 13, 2012]
    dont think its affecting me but if so i am going for chemical guys eco wash and some buckets
  9. cloughy

cloughy Member

[Mar 13, 2012]
    Watering can and snow foam in a pump sprayer
  10. nally

nally MPG the new BPH

[Mar 13, 2012]
    good shout on the watering can
  11. Farhan

Farhan Active Member

[Mar 13, 2012]
    Its certainly going to take place in my area and surrounding areas. I wash my car weekly, My friends near by will also have the same problem so the only option is take up the eco washing :/

Going to order chemical guys eco wash to but im stuck between ONR and ECO wash....Im worried even being careful the lack of proper foam and being able to pressure wash the dirt off will cause swirls :(

i have a pump sprayer so im probably going to use the pump sprayer to try and spray off most of the dirt off a panel before i hit it with the ONR or Eco wash.

Wonder what the pros like juicy and polished bliss would suggest.
  12. TripleD

TripleD Audi Novice

[Mar 13, 2012]
    Thanks for the answers, would have to ask if a pressure water is covered by the ban I assume so!

It's funny that I can run my hose to my driveway to fill up a bucket/watering can, but I'm not actually allowed to use it on my car!
    nally likes this.
  13. johnnythepie

johnnythepie Well-Known Member

[Mar 14, 2012]
    ive offerd to use my pisss on a neighbours beemer if it happens here.And when it rains theyll whinge about flooding.Never bbloody satisfied.
  14. johnnythepie

johnnythepie Well-Known Member

[Mar 14, 2012]
    i also have my own hose pipe ban at home cos i forgot to buy her a birthday card.
    nally likes this.
  15. shariain

shariain Well-Known Member

[Mar 14, 2012]
  16. chris1008

chris1008 Member

[Mar 14, 2012]
    I think the ban is just on hose pipes without some sort of device to control the water flow. so has a have a trigger or something.

If I can't be arsed getting the hose pipe out and setting the jet wash up for that matter i will just fill the bucket with warm water, put the sponge in and squeeze it over the car to soak in. re fill with shampoo and warm water , wash it. then rinse it off with pure water squeezing the sponge over the car or i will throw the water at it ! easy
  17. scotty76

[Mar 14, 2012]
    I don't think that's allowed. Have a look at Frequently asked questions - Drought - Thames Water

I would assume it will be the same as:

As a suggestion, I have two 190 litre water butts daisy chained together. I got them discounted from the local council. One night's rain fills both of them. I live in a very hard water area so it's actually better to use the rain water from the water butts to rinse the car as it doesn't leave water spots. I do this either with a watering can or by connecting my Karcher pressure washer and using a low pressure rinse. So if you have a drain pipe you can connect them to I'd recommend this approach as it works well.
  18. TripleD

TripleD Audi Novice

[Mar 14, 2012]
    I've got a smallish water butt that has the tap open permenantly and a hose leading to a man hole to drain the water away!
    Maybe I should just get a bigger butt (Sir Mix-A-Lot - I like big butts ( Official Music Video ) - YouTube) and use that. what about filtering the water on the way into the butt to stop moss etc from dropping through?
  19. scotty76

[Mar 14, 2012]
    I don't currently have a filter on mine but I read you can use an old pair of tights and put that over the incoming pipe to catch the **** off the roof.

On the two I have the tap is not right at the bottom which means the sediment from the roof settles to the bottom but doesn't come out the tap. Also, I clean them out once a year with the pressure washer (oh the irony)! The connecting pipe between the two water butts is near the top, which means the second one has no sediment in it (as it has all settled on the bottom of tank #1).

More here:

water butt install - Detailing World

You'll see I've already been there. :) So my top tip is if you have a Hozelock style water butt tap, it shouldn't leak! The whole Eco Friendly Detailing forum is worth a read as it has lots of suggestions on less water washing.
  20. TripleD

TripleD Audi Novice

[Mar 14, 2012]
    Ah haa!
    So I can replace the one around the back for the garden, and install one at the front to wash my car with.
    Sounds like a plan .... how will the missus feel about a 210L water butt sitting outside the front door? hmmm! Next problem! :D
  21. audigex

audigex Active Member

[Mar 18, 2012]
    Hosepipe bans? My word, it's grim down South.

You lot want to head North. Once you get to about Manchester you can have as much water as you'd like, and none of that limey **** you get either... it's all properly filtered Lake District spring water up here.
  22. deanski

deanski wax on, wax off

[Mar 18, 2012]