car back from the bodyshop

TDI

Reaction score
Can't believe my luck, took the car to the main dealers got back the car three months later with the rear bumper not matching the rest of the body. Is silver that hard to match? anyone got pictures of silver A4 rear shot? to compare as i'm sure the colour is slightly out. taking car on Friday but it's doing my nut waiting.

Really pee'd off!

Cheers

the outcome of the colour and finish depends on how it was painted, and who painted it. If its slightly out then theres been an inperfection in the mixing or application process !
Take it back until its right !

Ive seen loads of silver A4's where the bumpers look a different colour to the body.Not sure why:think:

Metallic Silver is impossible to colour match, thats why if you ever have a re-spray the re-sprayed panel will always look darker in the shade.

Therefore getting shade variations is impossible to avoid.

It does not help when the ammount of paint used on a re-sprayed surface always differs to the ammount applied from the factory.

Plus when you are using different substrates (plastic for bumpers and metal for bodywork) the paint will react differently too, and also look a different shade.

Cheers guys for the info. Just pee'd off as my worst fears have come true. i thought that this would happen once the car came back, and it annoys me that the accident wasn't even my fault it's a bitter pill to swallow. People are staring at me, when i see a silver VW or Audi i'm checking the colour of the bumper to the colour of the body

john2garden,

So what should i do? take it back or take it on the chin? scared they might make it worse by respraying again might be even worse :-(

TDI said:
So what should i do? take it back or take it on the chin? scared they might make it worse by respraying again might be even worse :-(

I would take it back mate. If you can notice it, it will spoil your driving experience and enjoyment of your car. Not only that but whats say for example you sell it and a prospective buyer notices too? He/she will think a shoddy job means its not been looked after.

Do you think some german bloke would accept a half decent job? :unsure: You can imagine it now 'Nein Nein Nein' As the bloke gets a slap from a leather clad hand!! :angrymod: :angrymod: Basically the germans didn't get to where they are now by accepting a second rate job!!

Cheers guys,

Just come back from the Audi bodyshop, i got told that there will be a slight variation in colour due to the colour reacting differently on the bumper as it is plastic compared to the body of which is ,metal, and that they don't mix paint at the dealers. it is ordered ready mixed. The guy also said that the colour would come out the same if they sprayed it again. I'm going to take a few pictures and post on here so that i can get your opinion

:-/

yeah do that, I wanna see this !

Olly K

sorry, how does one attach images to posts?

Cheers :-0

I was told that they rear bumpers on A4's never seem to be the same colour is because if you look at them (B6 A4 for example) the rear bumper NEVER meets another body panel on a flat surface. Where the bottom-side of the bumper meets the rear 1/4, the join is on a curve, so no matter what angle you look at it, it never seems to be right, obviously unless, like you say, if it comes from factory (orignal job).

Ive got a perfect match with my bumpers,skirts and spoiler when i had them painted.So surely a main dealer should be able to do it.

04A4004.jpg

James 0808,

do you have close up of the rear bump on your car?

Cheers

I CANNOT NOTICE IT!!!!

No only joking the bottom part of the bumper looks a lot darker.

Almost light blue in fact

What do you guys think? have some more shots?????? :-(

looks darker than some of the pics already loaded on here!

TDI said:
James 0808,

do you have close up of the rear bump on your car?

Cheers
I will have a look if i have any on my pc,my camera is bust so i cant get any pics for abit.I would want that painting again if it was mine.

Glad you think it needs respraying as i know i'm not blowing it out of context.
:-0

james0808,

That looks miles better, and the colour is what it should be! sooo glad this forum exists as i would of just excepted it. Cheers for taking the time out to post the pic dude!

Don't really understand their excuse that the colour is different because plastic & metal react differently:
1. Are they painting straight onto the plastic/metal? Thought it was kinda traditional to use an undercoat/primer of some sort!
2. How do they get it so pretty damn close at the factory then?
Keep at them they're trying it on.

Those pics don't look right, but I have to confess that like a couple of the other guys said earlier, I have noticed more than one B6 with rear bumpers that appear to be slightly different in colour. I've always put it down to a trick of the light, but maybe they've had dodgy re-sprays too.

AndyMac,

I think your right after seeing james photo of his car, i know that mine is not right. I can't believe that a main dealer can do a bad a job as that, i mean the only reason i went with Wayside Audi Bodyshop is because they're a main dealer and should of done tons of silver Audi's. The manager came out and started walking me around the yard and showing me other silver Audis saying that they all have this problem. to rub salt in, the boot spoiler isn't flush there is a 2mm gap between it and them boot lid plus it's slighty loose i think they haven't glued it down properly. Can it get any worse! :-(

jdp1962,

I've been eyeing up A4s for the last few days i think your right it might be light and different angles but mines darker than most i've seen, i understand it might be darker than the body but not by that much right?

Any variance shouldn't really be noticeable in a photo, and yours is very noticeable.

I had the same with my previous silver B6 A4. At different times of the day and with different weather, the bumper always looked different from the rest of the car. Sometimes I swear that every panel looked a different colour. My rear bumper mostly looked darker, but I did notice once or twice that it actually looked lighter:uhm: . I got used to it eventually, but have a walk around a big-ish city and have a look at other silver B6's, or go to a dealer and have a look at some of the silver used cars they have on the forecourt.

Been looking at your pictures again TDI and the bumper seems to match the boot quite good.

I agree with you arthurfuxake, i have see a few silver A4s and they seem to appear the same. also agree with james0808 the boot looks the same colour. i think i'll take it on the chin. Thanks for your input though guys :)