Car Almost Dies !!

A3 T

Lord Of The Rings
Reaction score
A few weeks ago i was on a nice clear stretch of road so but my foot down. When i got so the end of the road and slowed down the revs were all over the place and and i had to keep revving it up because it looked like the car was going to cut out.

Today i was on another clear road so though i would test it out again and put my foot down, sure enough as i come to a stop the engine felt like it was going to cut out.

After driving the car for a few miles it seems to sort itself out.

Any ideas what's going on ?

Scanned for faults?

Sounds like a pipe has split or popped off...

<tuffty/>

Scanned for faults?

Sounds like a pipe has split or popped off...

<tuffty/>

Only faults that showed up are:

16804 - Catalyst System: Bank 1: Efficiency Below Threshold
P0420 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17705 - Pressure Drop between Turbo and Throttle Valve (check D.V.!)
P1297 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

But these are old codes that I've had for a while now (the 16804 one shows up once in a blue moon).

If a hose popped off would the car go back to normal after a few miles of driving at a “normal” speed ?

If a pipe popped off then no... thats normally fairly permanent.. if a pipe had split then it could have been adapted out by the ECU... smoke test next... the 17705 may be the result of these.... its a leak based code... its also a software bug and can pop up because of that...

<tuffty/>

Thanks mate ;)

Ill do another search and see if i can find anywhere local with a smoke tester.

How much do places usually charge for a smoke test?

Also are those home made pressure testers any good ?

I was charged £30 for a smoke test locally.
I have read that home made testers not so good if pumping over 5psi through them, however Darkside were happy to test to around 1bar on my pipes recently (bear in mind turbo blows more than this anyway) to check for leaks.

smoke tester usually only goes up to 1psi

I was charged £30 for a smoke test locally.
I have read that home made testers not so good if pumping over 5psi through them, however Darkside were happy to test to around 1bar on my pipes recently (bear in mind turbo blows more than this anyway) to check for leaks.

smoke tester usually only goes up to 1psi

I was already posting you you made your post....lol

Ok ill search around for a garage that can smoke it for me :(

hi guys i have a problem with my 1.8 turbo i have just put porformance plus in and k and n oil filter. Them i put tesco 99 % octane fuel and it just died and would take ages turning it over to start is it running to rich? its had a stage1 remap1?

Any ides to help me cheers

What is performance plus? Is the K&N an oil covered filter,if so it could be affecting the MAF sensor. best to just replace with an upgraded panel filter.