1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car Alarm

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by N95, Apr 16, 2009.

1. N95

N95 New Member

I tested my car alarm today and it sounded like alert sound when you haven't put your seatbelt on, but slightly higher.

Is this the norm? If so has anyone worked out a way to make it sound louder?
  2. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member

The noise a car alarm can make is restricted by the Audible Motor Vehicle Alarms Bill to 55 decibels from 1 January 2007.

This Bill was introduced because in 99% of cases when a car alarm goes off it's a false alarm and causes annoyance. The most important part of the security on the A3 is the immobiliser which generally stops the car from being stolen unless you have the keys.
  3. Igdos

Igdos Member

55 decibels - that is nothing, remember doing this kind of stuff in physics - checked and that is sound level generated by people having a conversation!

Although to be honest it is true that few people react to car alarms these days.
  4. Staz

Staz is a retronaut Staff Member Moderator

Igdos asks a good question though, can it be changed?

There are a few options with VCDS but I haven't played around with them yet.