1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cant select 1st gear.

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by cjsuk, Jan 30, 2013.

1. cjsuk

cjsuk Member

[Jan 30, 2013]
    So there I was racing n alpha romeo from the lights esp off in the wet, wheel spin changed to second and crunch, oooh I thought.......anyway I lost vital seconds so I give up and drove normally up to 3rd an 4th nice and smooth.....got to some more lights stopped went to put it in 1st and it just wouldnt go in? It litrally dosent move a mm in to 1st. Every other gear is fine including reverse....smooth no whines etc....so what is it?

I dont think its the gearbox tbh but one of you lot will know better than me.

Its a 2001 1.8t sport AUM.

Cheers in advance guys n gals :)
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

[Jan 30, 2013]
    The only thing i can think of is punishment losing to an Alpha...:lmfao:

On the other hand it could be the dreaded selector fork issue...:crying:
  4. cjsuk

cjsuk Member

[Jan 30, 2013]
    Pmsl tell me bout it, bloody Alfa and it diddnt break! That's just filled me with confidence, the "dreaded" selector fork issue? Lol
  5. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

[Jan 30, 2013]
    There is something about rivets breaking on the forks, but unsure if it would only effect 1 gear, have you looked at the cables?
  6. A3-Lee

A3-Lee Active Member

[Jan 30, 2013]
    I done similar while beating a ibiza cupra but ruined second in the process I ended up having the box re built as synchro was shot I'd try adjusting the cables correctly on the off chance tho mate out of interest does it go into first when not running?
  7. cjsuk

cjsuk Member

[Jan 30, 2013]
    Don't like the sound of the rivit issue :/ it won't go in no matter weather the engine is on or not, ill have a look at cables but I thought there would have been a slight bit of play when trying to get it in if it was a cable issue
  8. s3clarke

s3clarke Money grabbing s3!

[Jan 30, 2013]
    u probably left 1st gear at the lights lol
  9. A3-Lee

A3-Lee Active Member

[Jan 30, 2013]
    Something sounds broken there mate I can see a gearbox rebuild coming on
  10. Alex C

Alex C Well-Known Member

[Jan 30, 2013]
    if your selector fork on first gear had broken then i would expect difficulty getting it into 2nd also
  11. cjsuk

cjsuk Member

[Jan 31, 2013]
    Right I went to the lights and my 1st gear definitley isnt left there lol Gearbox rebuild? nooooo don't say that! lol

Anyway I had a word with one of the tutors at Leeds Collage of Technology (Car Mechanics bit) as we deliver tyres there. I explained to him and he said a few things including "have you got alot of money" lol.....He was very knowlagable though and said "tbh he wouldnt like to say without looking at it" so...he just said heres my number, call me when you have some time and bring the car to my house and ill have a look. :) . I said how much? i'm skint, he just said to diagnose it, nothing if he has to fix it, parts and a few drinks. Some good ppl out there:) .

Ill keep you posted with the good/bad news.

Cheers for your input :)
  12. Spatula

Spatula 1.8T AGU

[Jan 31, 2013]
    Oh dear... Well it's good you have contacts. Good luck with the results of the damage ;)
  13. cjsuk

cjsuk Member

[Feb 28, 2013]
    Reet it seems like it's an internal problem, now then I have sourced a used gearbox for £90 full working order (to collect from warrington) and whilst it's out the clutch may aswell get done which again a used valedo for £85 inc p&p thats done 1000 miles and looks all shiney still, are the prices good? and what am I looking at for fitting cost wise?

Cheers Carl