1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cant secure spare wheel

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by DenCar, Oct 15, 2011.

1. DenCar

DenCar Member

Just got hold of a 18" Alloy to replace my original 16" spare but find that i cant screw it down to secure it, the bolt now isnt long enough. The original 16" is ET 42 and the new 18" is ET 35 and the bolt just wont reach the little hole at the bottom of the wheel-well.
    Anybody else gone onto 18s and had this problem. Any suggestions appreciated.

DC
  2. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

Any reason why you would want an 18" spare? 16" is lighter, you are just adding extra weight for no reason other than bling, which is covered up I presume? :uhm:
  3. DenCar

DenCar Member

Yeah i have 18" on each corner now and the spare, simple.

DC
  4. Smokey_clark

Smokey_clark 12th Gear

All i can think to do is get some threaded bar screwed into the hole with a couple nuts at the top leaving just enough thread to screw in the bolt.
  5. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

What I'm saying is, there is no need for an 18" spare, if you get a flat, you just bang the 16" one on until you get your 18" one repaired, then the 16" spare goes back in the wheelwell.
  6. DenCar

DenCar Member

Thanks Smokey, i did think of something like that so maybe thats the way to go.

I appreciate what you are saying JoJo but, I just wanted an 18" as a spare as well.

DC
  7. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

8. Imteyaz

Imteyaz 6th Gear

You can (carefully) take the bolt out and replace it with a longer bolt ( I had to do the same with my BBs RC's that are 18"). It's easier to take apart than to put back together (Could do with an extra pair of hands) but not impossible.

I wish that I had taken pics now but if you have a close look at the original holder, you will see where it clips together, taking it apart is simple enough. I ended up using a bolt that was too long and this left the spare wheel loose (bolt had 'bottomed out') although its secure so I cut the bolt down and now it works fine.

HTH,
  9. DenCar

DenCar Member

Thanks Imteyaz, ill look into that.

Thanks Tuffty, but iv already bought the 18" spare. Did think about a space saver but decided not.

DC