Audi-Power

Reaction score
hi

i have put the standard aerial back on my a3. 8L
installed the standard head unit.
plugged every thing as standard.

im still not getting signal.
when i search for radio stations it doesn't find any :(
if i press the scan button it finds all different stations but i dont no weather there all pre installed ones ?
if i want to search manually with the little arrow top right of head unit it will scan through the lot without picking up a station :keule:

can anyone help with information on this please ?

this is weird as well.
when i had the shark fin on the roof it wasn't connected to anything.

i put the standard head unit in and i could listen to the radio from the pre installed stations . :unsure:

Audi HU's store everything, even when battery is disconnected (that's what causes the irratic volume issue). You can pick up FM with just a small screwdriver inserted into the HU so chances are it just doesn't think the signal is strong enough to scan properly. Sounds like the amp in the original aerail is shot and you haven't wired up the feed to the new amp in the shark fin (or it's duff). You need to connect the flying lead from the shark fin to the "remote on" live on the HU, so it switches on/off with the HU

the standard aerial is now fitted the one from factory.
its all wired up correct.

the standard factory head unit did find stations but only from the scan button.
not from the manual search with those arrow buttons.

today i have bought the latest alpine blutooth head unit.
that wont pick up any station either.

i have been told that i need a booster what sits behind the head unit and plugs into the aerial but not looked for one yet as i dont no what is what lol :(

so i buy one of these.

and i fit it.

tried wiring it to the remote and the red cable.
still the same.

i get radio stations but its still very distorted.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

As said sounds like the amp in the aerial base is shot. Presumably if you stick a small screwdriver in the core aerial connection on the HU you get FM no problem?

If i hold the amp booster the reception goes better.

the standard head unit worked fine in the end though

i dont understand it

might be time for some auto electrician to look at it

still not working lol.........i recks i need something to connect to that lead what is not used anymore..........the little yellow square lhead conector what goes into the standard head unit maybe this would sort it along with the booster

any ideas thanks