1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cant remove rear wiper.

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by TwedA4, Nov 12, 2013.

1. TwedA4

TwedA4 Member

[Nov 12, 2013]
    Hi guys,

I've been investigating why my rear wiper wont work and turns out there's a chunk of motor missing!! lol

[​IMG]

Tried taking the wiper arm off but it's well and truly stuck! the 13mm nut took some shifting with a big ratchet, but cant for the life of me get the arm off. i tried screw drivers in behid it and gripping it with a pipe wrench butthis thing is stuck!! I'm not bothered about damaging it as it's damaged anyway but dont want to hurt the car or glass...

Anyone know how to pull it off without causing damage?

cheers. :)
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 18, 2014]

3. kite

kite Member VCDS Map User

[Nov 12, 2013]
    Go to a local screen place or buy a 2 leg puller.
  4. andy.l

andy.l Member

[Nov 12, 2013]
    Audi Doodah likes this.
  5. Welshquattro

Welshquattro Active Member

[Nov 12, 2013]
    Cut it off! Quattro James did a post on it somewhere.
  6. Mike_B

Mike_B Active Member

[Nov 12, 2013]
    See my post in this thread - http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s4-a4-a4-cab-b7-chassis/195714-wiper-arms-seized-onto-spindle.html - that said, when I had to replace the rear arm recently, there was no way the thing was coming off, and that was one put on about a year ago when I replaced the motor.

As the thing was broken anyway, I just ripped it off, leaving the metal insert stuck on the spindle. A nut splitter removed that in seconds. Or, a Dremel would do it too of course.

The problem is that the metal insert is a soft alloy so that it can cut it's own thread on the spindle. A few years of electrolytic corrosion and that's that. The replacement got Coppaslipped!
  7. crazy88

crazy88 Loving the anonymity

[Nov 12, 2013]
    Yeah, I bet the motor was missing as it's a common fault. The washer jet passes through the motor and often leaks causing it to short out. After 2 years of ownership I fixed my non-working squirter only to have that break my motor lol. The wiper then kept wiping so disconnected it for now. I'll fix the motor up at some point hopefully.

I had to cut my arm off with a dremel though as that also needed replacing. I copperslipped it up, but not convinced it'll work. Hopefully I won't have to change the arm again though.
  8. TwedA4

TwedA4 Member

[Nov 12, 2013]
    thanks for the tips guys. i thought i'd need some sort of puller but i didnt know something like that was available. i'll see im my slide hammer fits over it first lol.

and thanks for the heads up mike_b. i'll put some copper grease on it when i replace it. :)
  9. foursprungdugtechnique

foursprungdugtechnique Member

[Jan 1, 2014]
    The motor for golf/passat and A4 should be a straight replacement.
    Mine seized up about 3 years ago (B5) and I got a replacement from the scrap yard, just had to clean up the washer jet. Works great, was only about £15 with 3 month warranty
  10. foursprungdugtechnique

[Jan 1, 2014]
    Copper grease is a good idea too, I did that with mine
  11. TwedA4

TwedA4 Member

[Jan 2, 2014]
    in the end i had to use a wee hacksaw blade and take it easy and it come off. bit of a fiddly job like.

put the new one on with a bit copper grease but when i use it now, it pees inside the car when i squirt the washer! lol
  12. foursprungdugtechnique

[Jan 4, 2014]
    Is the washer pipe connector damaged?