1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't remap my car :'(

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Lemon S3, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Lemon S3

Lemon S3 Alex

[Jan 5, 2010]
    Tried remapping it today but it wouldn't communicate with the ECU and found out my car (1999 APY) is too old.
    I'm really bummed about this, can only get it chipped.
    Would there be any bhp and torque difference between getting a car remapped or getting it chipped?
    Or can I get a 2000 plate ECU and fit that in my car then remap it?
    Got really excited about remapping it then it doesn't work :crying:
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  2. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator

[Jan 5, 2010]
    My 1999 APY S3 was mapped through the diagnostic port.
  3. voorhees

voorhees Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Jan 5, 2010]
    was it a backstreet tuner ?
  4. Mpathe

Mpathe 1st gear

[Jan 5, 2010]
    mine aslo a 99 apy was remapped by awesome gti with an apr map.
  5. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

[Jan 5, 2010]
    Bench flash....

<tuffty/>
  6. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Jan 5, 2010]
    Not all, some are. Mostly DBW are flashable, and DBC are not as a rule and need to be chipped.

Then the exceptions are some DBC ones can be bench flashed as stated by Tufftybloke.
  7. badger5

badger5 www.badger5.co.uk Site Sponsor

[Jan 5, 2010]
    its not the car per say
    not saying its not got comms/wiring issues
    but its mappable yes

limited kit from whoever you took it to maybe?
  8. Welly

Welly VX220 SC Driver :)

[Jan 5, 2010]
    Bill had to bench flash my A3 2000.
  9. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

[Jan 5, 2010]
    all ECU's have a chip of sorts, a MAP is simply a file loaded onto a chip, some ECU's can have their existing chip reflashed with a new map, some can't. the map applied will not be any different at all, it's just that older cars will require a new chip to be soldered onto the ECU that is capable of taking the new map.

It seems to be pot luck to a degree on older cars as to which can/cannot be mapped via the OBD port, my 98 AGU has been mapped twice through the OBD port, but some 2000 cars need a bench flash/chip
  10. staggspeed

staggspeed staggspeed

[Jan 5, 2010]
    Ok,now please forgive me on this one,not being into the electronic side of things,but when a car has to be chipped, do they install a chip with a map on it or do they install a blank chip then map it?
  11. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator

[Jan 6, 2010]
    Modern cars get the existing chip in the car flashed with new software through the diagnostic port, but the OP in this thread can't get his car done for some bizaar reason.
  12. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

[Jan 6, 2010]
    it depends on the type of mapping required really.....

As most maps are just generic these days, often the new chip has the map already loaded onto it, so it's just a case of changing the chip and refitting the ECU. Where a custom map is being done, often the chip will be soldered in, then the base map uploaded before modifying further on a rolling road or out on the road.
  13. badger5

[Jan 6, 2010]
    yours was a non dbw AGU car which often fail to port flash
  14. badger5

[Jan 6, 2010]
    physically soldering chips is not the common practice these days, and has been the case for some while
    Port Flashing should be possible on all dbw 1.8t's to answer the op

some flash tools work better with error rejection than others, and some tools dont cope with cars which have had revo trial on for example
  15. A3ster

A3ster Member

[Jan 6, 2010]
    I have an 99 A3 AGU DBC and could not flash it through the port, in my case we had comms for read but not write therefore could not upload the file so assumed the port was faulty. The mapper has ordered a harness to bench flash it, im going over at some point next week so will know the outcome then.
  16. Lemon S3

Lemon S3 Alex

[Jan 7, 2010]
    I am the backstreet tuner lol.
    I'm a dealer for another company, I took my ecu out the other day n gave them the numbers n they said I should of been able to remap it through the port but my car might have had a revo trial map at some point. So I've got to take it out again and do it by connecting certain leads onto certain pins and perform a bootloader. Then install the modified map.

PS. Never get a revo trial map as you can't get it tuned again by anyone else other than revo and also when the trial runs out it actually sets everything lower than it was when standard so that the trial feels a lot more than it actually is.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  17. Matt82

Matt82 Active Member

[Jan 7, 2010]
    it seems there is confusion between whats a remap and whats a chip

as for the revo thing, that sounds so pie in the sky

got anything to substantiate that?
  18. badger5

[Jan 7, 2010]
    REVO Trial CAN be over written, with decent flash tools..
    Trial does revert to as before settings, but adaption channels do not, so reset and they're back again, and if in dout it can always be flashed to stock by whichever revo dealer put trial on in the first place

You are using a primitive flash tool I would presume.
    Boot mode easily remedies of course. bench flash it tostock or performance and it will port flash again
  19. Lemon S3

Lemon S3 Alex

[Jan 7, 2010]
    According to the company I do it for (who were the first to find this out only a few weeks ago) the trial does something to the ecu (something about a resistor, can't remember exactly) so that it can only be written again by the same company through the port. Like said above it can be done using a bench flash.
    I'm using a kessv2 which is one of the best if not the best remapping equipment available, it did cost me almost £2500.
  20. badger5

[Jan 7, 2010]
    Dude, you are talking to a guy who does this as a business..

"something about a resistor" - lol, sorry fella.. laughable what you have been told. Its been reflashed with software, but its effected a resistor?
    erm, nope. Celtic tuning
    Sorry, but thats misinformation if ever I have seen it.

Your flash tool clearly is'nt as competant in dealing with the likes of a REVO flash as a Custom code cable, which has no issue.

Boot mode will work obviously, but its nothing to do with resistors.. just a read/write bit in the software which is'nt set to standard, which confused many flash tools (including one of mine) during the burn and verify process.

How many cars have you flashed? seems like this is new to you
  21. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Jan 7, 2010]
    IIRC Celtic are one of the companies that will offer you a franchise for £2.5 k as long as no other dealer is within 15 miles. I am sure Celtic have some idea what they are doing, it's how the explanation gets interpreted by the franchisee that could create probs IMHO.

Sorry Lemon, i would take Bills word over theirs anyday and also with my limited knowledge of all things technical, Bills expalanation makes more sense to me.

If REVO were runnnig around damaging resistors in ECUs then they would have gone out of business years ago due to replacing every ECU they had eve put the trial onto
  22. Matt82

Matt82 Active Member

[Jan 7, 2010]
    im not being funny, you dont sound particularly clued up about what youre going to be selling. good to see youre experimenting on your car rather than "customers"!!
  23. badger5

[Jan 7, 2010]
    I had a LCR in before xmas for diagnosing some issues on its boost and limp mode, which on investigation were leaks from the FMIC installation.. Software on it was celtic tuning, and when I data logged it, it was pretty good code as far I could see. Drove nice, and was nice and punchy whilst remaining smooth. nice job. the issues were car related from hardware and poor fitting of said
  24. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

[Jan 7, 2010]
    ...and I believe Bill has touched on something here... Performance tuning is more than just flashing a car with code. Boost leaks, spilt vacuum pipes, dodgy sensors etc all need to be considered before flashing a car...

I assume you have a copy of VAGCOM (or similar) to check for fault codes before flashing cars? (assuming its just VAG cars you are planning on doing)

It does worry me how easy it appears to be for somebody to obtain these tools with little training or experience in vehicle diagnostics... No offence to the OP of course but posting threads like this isn't going to help you in your venture I fear...

<tuffty/>