1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cant keep straight ahead!!

loudchris53 Aug 2, 2012

1. loudchris53

loudchris53 Member

I have recently noticed a problem develop with my car, it is really hard to keep the car going in a straight line and takes loads of little corrections to the steering wheel, i have changed my tyres recently but have checked the pressures and they are all fine, it seems to be getting worse and noticed it quite a lot on my way home from work today! any ideas as to what is causing this?

Many thanks :)

Chris

2. hades-

hades- Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

what tyres have you got on ?

3. BlueSpark

BlueSpark 6th Gear

When you changed the tyres did you get the tracking done on the wheels too? If not then your tracking is off and needs realignment.

4. loudchris53

loudchris53 Member

It has pirelli p zero rosso tyres which were balanced but i didnt have the tracking done, the steering wheel has always been to the right when the car is going straight ahead but i have only recently noticed how hard it is to keep in a straight line!

Chris

5. hades-

hades- Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

have tracking checked for a start

6. loudchris53

loudchris53 Member

Ok, will do :)

Chris

7. S3Alex

S3Alex Rarely neutral Team Ibis TFSI Owners Group Gold Supporter Audi S3 DSG

As above,tracking is the first thing to check.

Mine gets checked every 5000 miles or so and always needs correcting.
    Have a look at my build thread and see how far out it was last time!

8. loudchris53

loudchris53 Member

I am any better of going to audi for my tracking? do they have better technology or am i just as good going to an independent?

Chris

9. S3Alex

S3Alex Rarely neutral Team Ibis TFSI Owners Group Gold Supporter Audi S3 DSG

Pick a good independent with 4wheel laser alignment.

10. Ben H

Ben H On a journey...

Get a 4-wheel alignment done as soon as you can - you'll almost certainly be wearing the tyres out in an uneven pattern. A good place will charge somewhere around £50-80 for a proper set-up.

11. Geraldy212

Geraldy212 Sportback owner

While you have the opportunity when the car is up on the hoist. Get a mechanic to shake the front wheels violently, and see if there are any joints, bushes etc which are worn or coming loose. Check also the front sub-frame anchor points (bolts tightened to the right torque). I have P-Zero rosso's and the car runs so straight it thinks it's a train. Meanwhile, see if you can get the steering wheel centered, which will be much nice to drive. Good luck.

12. fangio

fangio Well-Known Member

They should centre the wheel when they track it. Mine always does.