Can't find a hole...

phil_w

VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Can anyone give me a bit of help?

I've been on and off for months now meaning to retrofit fog lights on my 56 plate A3 Sportback - I have the fogs, surrounds, light switch and wiring loom.

My problem is that I cannot find an easy route from the engine bay through to the drivers side fusebox/central electrics (RHD).

Can anyone provide step by step instructions (pref with pics) to help?

Many thanks in advance...

No - just a standard manual diesel...

Is it any easier to come in behind the glovebox and extend the loom?

Running the wires is simple enough, I ran the loom of wires up the side of the wing. I removed the plastic trim under the windscreen and this gave access to the plenum chamber as its called. I then removed the wiper motor and this allows the cover to be removed that allows access to the inside of the car. I then routed the wire though the rubber grommet and into the foot well.
Inside the car you need to remove the cover under the steering wheel allowing access to the central electronics. The wires then need to routed through the rest of the loom to the correct plugs.

The above is when i intalled the oem xenons

It was the plenum chamber cover that scared me off this weekend...

ELSAwin manual scares you with mentions of breaking windscreen seals and the part that holds the cover in place not being available if it breaks...

Does the cover just lift away pretty easily after removing the wiper arms and washer jets or is there a magic technique?

Many thanks

phil put some hair round it then im sure you will find your hole :):):)

lmao, thats a good comeback

but Phil come in behind the glovebox, there's a cows udder (its true it looks like it) rubber grommet behind the battery/abs pump that has spare holes to use, just use coat hanger & careful feed through as I did when I installed TPMS, this for me was easiest & best option overall fella as doing through the scuttle panel whatever you wanna call it was a ball breaker overall, yes battery comes out but that took 5 minutes to do where as other route can result in removing wipers to get more lift of the window trim.

Just my experience anyway