1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canbus

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Dom Knight, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Dom Knight

Dom Knight Member

I have a canbus system on my bike, so I know that previous faults when repaired, you have to reset the canbus system memory values to zero or the canbus just keeps saying that the fault is still there.

So I am assuming that as the canbus said that the car's hatch was still open when in fact it was locked shut that I will have to get someone to reset the canbus on our car.

What do you think ?
  2. Lewis583

Lewis583 Active Member

Canbus is just the communication protocol that allows the control units on a car to talk to each other. I think you mean fault codes.

If there is a fault code stored for boot hatch lock switch position open circuit/plausibility and you have had the switch repaired/replaced, then yes the fault code will require clearing with the use of a diagnostic system. VCDS for example.

The lock switch doesn't always log a fault code though. So if the car still reports that the boot hatch is open when it is shut, and the switch has been replaced with a new/known working lock switch and there are no fault codes stored. Then I would be checking the wiring to the switch. Particularly around where the loom goes from car body to the hatch.
  3. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

The boot switches (and the door switches for that matter) are a common fault... most of the time they don't register that the door/boot is open..

8L cars use K-Line communications by the way :)

<tuffty/>
  4. Dom Knight

Dom Knight Member

Hi guys.

I went outside with the workshop book and followed the steps on how to refit the rear hatch lock
    And now I can say the light for the tailgate goes out when the car ignition is turned on.
  5. anderswhk

anderswhk Member

So, i have me an A3 8L from 2002. 1.8T. No idea if its an Ambiente or Ambition model. Have anyone found out a sure way to tell if it has canbus or not? I an trying to install aftermarket HIDs. Mostly info i find by using google is in german.
  6. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

8L comms are K-Line and only use canbus for the instruments/radio..

<tuffty/>
  7. anderswhk

anderswhk Member

Thank you tuffy