Can you tell if it's already remapped?

jbaudi

Reaction score
I've recently bought a 2005 DSG 2.0tdi and thinking of remapping. However, i don't wanna go to the effort of taking it somewhere just to find out its already been done!

Is there any way of being able to tell for sure if it is or not without taking it somewhere to find out!?

I've come from a 270bhp TT so tbh I can't really determine what 140bhp should feel like!
Any tips?

No real way to determine unless it gets plugged in and data checked. VCDS wont tell you either. You should be able to tell though by driving it really. Crisper accelaration, smoothness and more power.

You should be able to tell though by driving it really. Crisper accelaration, smoothness and more power.

But what is his benchmark?

I don't reckon you'll ever be able to tell if a car you have owned for the first time is remapped just by driving it.

If you really want to know if your car has been remapped... find a dealer that is selling a TDI 140 of similar age, pretend you are interested in buying it, and ask for a test drive so you can compare it to yours. You should be able to feel a difference straight away.
Its not as honest as putting your car on a rolling road or something, but is a lot cheaper.

Reactions: _G_
yea that's a good idea! what about doing a 0-60 test? is there a clear difference in time there?

You could try that but to be honest there's probably not going to be much difference, especially when you factor in other things... i.e. weather/road conditions, traction, etc etc.

My car has been remapped and the 0-60 is probably only about half a second quicker, if even that. Where the real difference comes is in rolling power delivery/acceleration.

anyone local to milton keynes who's had it done?

I've recently bought a 2005 DSG 2.0tdi and thinking of remapping. However, i don't wanna go to the effort of taking it somewhere just to find out its already been done!

Is there any way of being able to tell for sure if it is or not without taking it somewhere to find out!?

I've come from a 270bhp TT so tbh I can't really determine what 140bhp should feel like!
Any tips?

I'm probably wrong but my 2.0TDI(170 though) revved up to around 3k-4k(might be lower but not near the car to check at mo) revs before changing automatically, since the remap it'll go a fair bit closer to the redline. Not a sure fired way, plus depends on when it was done as there are many varients.

I had this problem when I ggot my s3 , I took mine to my local vag garage , they were offering a 6 hour free apr map but he came back and said the the cars already even ramped by checkig what boost it was running at. He also took it for a drive and came back and said defo been remaped so he won't put the trail on as after the 6 hours the car would go back to standard.
Dont know if this iis much help to you.

You can use VCDS to check the boost / MAF airflow agaist a std cars readings.

That's quite a power downgrade... If you're not happy with the performance you could always go to stage 2, 3. They won't charge you if they find a map is already there.

Stick an ODB reader into the ODB2 port and read/store 4th gear actual and demand turbo boost, and rpm figures to compare to stock engine..

that sounds rather technical for someone who doesn't have an OBD reader! Thanks for the info thou..I'll try the rev limiter thing to start with. Might just have to take it somewhere and see..

that sounds rather technical for someone who doesn't have an OBD reader! Thanks for the info thou..I'll try the rev limiter thing to start with. Might just have to take it somewhere and see..

You won't be able to tell by looking at when your gears change. The more throttle you give it the longer the box will hold on to each gear, regardless of remap or no remap.

reckon ill either just go and test drive another one and see if it's different, or get someone that does the maps to look..shame there isn't an easier way really!

I have purchased a 2010 140 tdi just before Xmas and traded in a 2009 and the difference is quite considerable I think my new must have been mapped . Never thought of going for a test drive in the same spec car .think I will do that . My new 1 feels far more responsive
.than the old 1 had a170 golf before and feels very simler .