Can you still use your own SIM with Connect?

Vertigo1

Reaction score
Hi all,

Been a while since I've been on here - stuff going on etc, but I'm now looking at my next A3 and have a question about the Connect services.

I notice you no longer need to provide your own SIM/data and that this is included in the subscription for the in-built services.

The brochure clearly states that this is not intended for Wifi/tethering but doesn't actually say whether this is still an option. Can you still add your own SIM card if you want to provide a Wifi hotspot in the car for general Internet use?

Yes, its best if you get a data only sim like you would you in a tablet.

There's another recent thread on a similar topic where discuss which network is cheapest.

You can add your own SIM, but all the "free" Connect data which used to go through the built-in SIM will now go through your added SIM.
There is a way of getting a subscription to enable you to use the hotspot facility, but it's rather expensive.
It's provided through a company called Data Inside (https://www.datainside.com/). Subscriptions are available for UK only or Pan-european (if you are in the UK).

Prices below

United Kingdom
Vat 20%

7 Day 500 MB 5.99 £
30 Day 1 GB 9.99 £
365 Day 10 GB 99.00 £

Pan European United Kingdom

7 Day 500 MB 12.99 £
30 Day 1 GB 17.99 £
365 Day 10 GB 155.00 £

Note the rather measly data limits as well.

Prices below

United Kingdom
Vat 20%

7 Day 500 MB 5.99 £
30 Day 1 GB 9.99 £
365 Day 10 GB 99.00 £

Pan European United Kingdom

7 Day 500 MB 12.99 £
30 Day 1 GB 17.99 £
365 Day 10 GB 155.00 £

Note the rather measly data limits as well.

Is this 10gb per month or literally 10gb across the 365 days?

You can use your own SIM (required if you want to use the wifi hotspot), but just be warned that it uses a LOT more data than the PFL car, which barely used any! The cost of the data isn't worth the wifi hotspot to me, so I just went back to the built in SIM.

I use the Audi provided SIM for all the items related to Audi Connect. I have just had it extended by Customer Services from the three month trial to 12 months for free. For a wifi hotspot I use a Huawei mobile wifi unit with a Three PAYG 3-2-1 sim card. Cost 1p/Mb. Works OK with my tablets. I also works in the office where I do some volunteering. They will not let me attach my own laptop to their network but the Huawei works just fine and provides me with a internet connection which I can then use my Citrix login to connect my laptop to their network when I need it.

Kuku, I understand the 10Gb is a total allowance, rather than a monthly allowance. Probably enough for a bit of email and Facebook, but nowhere near enough for any streaming.
I do use it, when I'm on holiday so my wife can use her tablet in the car. But I've only ever bought the 7 day plan. It's really not much use for anything other than social media. She has her own hotspot as well, which cost about £30 from amazon, and a Three data SIM I got from 7dayshop. That was about £25 with 12Gb of data, and as it its PAYG, you can top it up if needed. But I think there are better bargain SIMs to be had in Amazon.

Thanks for the info all.

I have Connect in my current PFL car and use EE preloaded 6GB/90-day SIMs which are about £20 a pop. Not sure whether I'll bother with the next car if I get everything bar the Wifi for free but good to know the option is still there. Big advantage would be that it'd work in most of Europe I'd imagine, whereas roaming is tricky with pre-paid SIMs.

You can use your own SIM (required if you want to use the wifi hotspot), but just be warned that it uses a LOT more data than the PFL car, which barely used any! The cost of the data isn't worth the wifi hotspot to me, so I just went back to the built in SIM.

I use the Audi provided SIM for all the items related to Audi Connect. I have just had it extended by Customer Services from the three month trial to 12 months for free. For a wifi hotspot I use a Huawei mobile wifi unit with a Three PAYG 3-2-1 sim card. Cost 1p/Mb. Works OK with my tablets. I also works in the office where I do some volunteering. They will not let me attach my own laptop to their network but the Huawei works just fine and provides me with a internet connection which I can then use my Citrix login to connect my laptop to their network when I need it.
How did you persuade Customer Services to do that for free?

Audi extended my Connect subscription for free for 12 months too. Just give them a call with your VIN number and they will do the rest. Usually takes a 2-3 days. It will automatically start working again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that info. I did that and they were very helpful and I should get the new subscription through shortly.
Dave

Reactions: Reggieboy71
What about tethering from another 4g enabled device such as a ipad with its own built in cellar capability?