Can you remove the oil pump without an engine lift?

llamamoo

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm proactively changing the 77mm to a 100mm hex with balancer shafts.

2 questions:

1) If the hex are just worn can I get away with just fitting a new hex without the balancer shafts?

2) Can this be done without the requirement for a lift?

infact a better questions would be can you replace the hex without replace the shafts? and can the 100mm fit in the 77mm's place without modification?

Nope to most of your questions ! You can remove the subframe but it will throw all suspension geometry out ! The hex can be replaced without taking the balancer shaft off- there's a circlip holding it in but you need a special puller that screws into the shaft- you will understand when you buy your replacement hex drive !

mine hasn't failed yet, as i said its just a proactive measure. But is it the 6mm Hex that wears or the balance shaft aswell? Can i get away with just replacing the 6mm hex and run that for another 50k miles?

Looks like a bit of a job! I'm thinking of selling the car now :(

Hi The hex key is hardend steel so wears out slower than the balance shaft, the balance shaft takes most of the wear as it is only mild steel.
My advise would be to renew both parts, if you do this using the later 100mm key and balance shaft and not the 77mm key and shaft which yours will have, the wear problem will never arise

Thanks

KMB Parts Direct

Now here is someone who does know what he is doing. I liked seeing these pictures when they were first posted and they still make me look in awe . Good job well done if my memory serves me correct.

Reactions: jdp1962
I wished i took more snaps to be honest Paul but greasy fingers and digi cameras don't mix too well ! That's nothing mate, you should see when i rebuild engines, my garden and drive are like a garage shop ! Here's a few pictures- sorry for the hijack :

Reactions: jdp1962
Paul is right; these pictures are awe-inspiring. But I still find them scary as well. I don't think I'd ever want to see my car looking like that.

Them cars are just nuts and bolts and they are designed to come apart...one way ore the other!

Paul is right; these pictures are awe-inspiring. But I still find them scary as well. I don't think I'd ever want to see my car looking like that.

My car has been like that but fortunately I wasn't there to see it...............****** oil pumps !