can you read fault codes at home?

ian52

2000 a4 1.8tqs-yellow
Reaction score
is there a way of getting fault codes without having to plug the car in at a dealers etc? i have an abs problem on my 2000 1.8tqs so want to see what code its bringing up.

yes you can buy the VAGCOM lead and do a auto scan which will bring u error codes if any logged on the ECU, you can clear them to see if they come and if they do they require attention.

you can buy them online i bought the official lead from RossTech i tried the cheaper ebay leads and they never seemed to work.

sounds a lot more complicated than what im used to(bridging 2 connections and seeing how many times the engine light flashes).how expensive is it to get and is it easy to use?

very easy to use, plug the Vagcom lead in to your cars OBDII port plug the USB end in to your laptop. run the vagcom program, select autscan and thats it wait til it finishes the scan and itll show you the error codes. you save, copy or print the results.

i paid £150 delivered for mines, the actual Vagcom lead contains the serial code inside and opens up the software whens you use it so you get all the features!

I tried the cheapr one and i coudlnt get it to work that was £15 from ebay.

www.gendan.co.uk

yeah its £250 but I can assure you its money very well spent & no one on any forum that has the vagcom kit will tell you they regretted, saves you thousands & convenience factor, well teach you more than the stealers know, lol, thats true aswell

if you wanna use it on all vag cars then buy the hex can usb, if only on a3 8P & golf 5 cars then micro can, but I always advise to buy the one for all vag cars.

you can buy direct from www.ross-tech.com & takes upto 3 days from the US & could save you few pennies but dollar is stranger at 1.8 at moment so wont be far of I shouldnt think.

my cheap ebay lead works fine too albeit only with the older versions of vagcom.

Also, you can achieve full functionality on the B5 A4 with these cheap leads, if you have a licenced copy of vagcom