Can you move the rear view mirror up slightly...?

BenUK

Reaction score
I am on the verge of buying an A3 (have come close a few times only for the said cars to be snapped up), but one question the Audi sales staff werent able to answer was if its possble to raise the height of the rear mirror slightly, maybe by only an inch to half an inch?

The trouble is, I am very tall, and therefore I sit very tall in the seats, even with them fully lowered, therefore the rear mirror often blocks the left side of the road. Now this isn't a problem in my current car as its just that bit bigger, but in the A3 its quite an issue.

Is there any physical reason why you cannot move the mirror upwards?

Thanks,

Ben.

If you have the the light and rain sensors fitted you can't move the mirror as there is a sensor located behind it looking out of the window. If the mirror is just stuck to the glass then I don't see why you can't remove it and move it up a bit.

How tall are you if you don't mind me asking?

As long as the car doesn't have auto wipers and/or lights it shouldn't be a problem. The mirror is just stuck onto the glass just like on any normal car. There's certainly enough room for an inch as A3s have a little sun visor that comes down behind the mirror and that's about an inch wide.

If it has auto features the mirror is attached to a big plastic housing that contains the light and rain sensors so it can't be moved.

EDIT: FAIL!

How tall are you if you don't mind me asking?

As long as the car doesn't have auto wipers and/or lights it shouldn't be a problem. The mirror is just stuck onto the glass just like on any normal car. There's certainly enough room for an inch as A3s have a little sun visor that comes down behind the mirror and that's about an inch wide.

If it has auto features the mirror is attached to a big plastic housing that contains the light and rain sensors so it can't be moved.

EDIT: FAIL!

OK, thanks for the replies.

I am 6ft 3in, I used to own a Golf before buying my current Mondeo TDCI (which actually is pretty nice to drive) and the Golf had the exact same problem, really bad vision, with a big blind spot caused by the mirror.

Sit in the back seat mate, like Hightower did in Police Academy, lol

It is done regularly by AutoGlass etc when they replace a windscreen.
Mine was replaced only a couple of weeks ago, so obviously they must have detached and re-attached the mirror.

Uh that would be because the new screens come with new fixings on them to fix the mirror to, they cant move the mirror if it has the auto dimming & rain/light sensors features, its a fixed location given the cutout in the sunvisor strip & the central location of the mirror for optimal rear viewing.

I'm 6 ft 7 and haven't had a problem in my S3

Sit in the back seat mate, like Hightower did in Police Academy, lol

yeah lol rip the front seat out ............

MEEEA-11.jpg